Chapter 24

Jimin POV

The next moments were a total blur.

Junghwa rushed to his side, practically collapsing beside him as she checked his pulse and breathing.

I called emergency services right away, barely keeping myself together as I saw Junghwa helplessly cradle her grandfather in her arms.

The operator instructed her how to give CPR and do chest compressions but that barely didn't anything.

Mister Jeon was practically turning blue at this point, so the two of us panicked a lot and prayed that the ambulances would get here in time.

Her eyes met mine and I saw immense fear in her eyes. Fear and guilt. And that made my heart ache, because she shouldn't be blaming herself.

I turned off the tap on the bath to prevent anymore water from coming considering enough had already flown out into the hallway.

From the way Mister Jeon was laying, he definitely had a fall of some kind, and from how much water there was, he was definitely like this for a while which made us feel worse.

Luckily, within minutes the paramedics burst into the house and pushed Junghwa and I away.

They were saying things like:

"Low blood pressure."
"Oxygenation levels low."
"Faint pulse."

Junghwa was holding onto my hand tightly, giving it a tight squeeze.

"Excuse me, I'm his granddaughter. What's gonna happen to him?" She asked.

The paramedics gave a wary smile, "We need to get him to the hospital now. More information will be given there."

The hefted him out on a stretcher with us following close on their heels.

We got to ride in the ambulance with him, but I think that only elevated our anxiety levels as the paramedics kept rattling everything that was wrong with him.

Junghwa choked back a sob beside me.

I hugged her tightly, trying to reassure her, but even I wasn't absolutely sure of the outcome. The only I was sure about was that I needed to be there for her. She needed some sort of emotional support before she completely collapsed, and I was determined to be that support.

We arrived at the hospital shortly, trying to keep up with everything that the doctors and paramedics were saying.

One word rang clear in our ears.

Surgery.

They rushed him away, leaving Junghwa and I behind in an agitated panic.

Junghwa finally broke and fell to the floor in loud sobs.

"It's all my fault! I should've stayed with him!" She cried.

I held her tightly, letting her cry into my shoulder. She held me tighter than she ever has. I stroked her head to try and calm her down, but she continued to wail.

A paramedic offered a sympathetic hand to us.

"So from what we concluded, your grandfather was probably about to go in for a bath but he fell or slipped really hard in a really messed up. The reason he probably couldn't breathe and was turning blue was because as he's older he's a lot more fragile and so he broke his ribs and they blocked his airways."

Junghwa began crying even harder, burying her face in the crook of my neck.

"Will he be alright?" I asked.