two

⁀➷

⁀➷

Sarah Rogers was a nurse who wanted to help as many people as possible, and Steve seemed to get that from both his parents, considering how his father had been a soldier as well.

When Steve explained Ophelia's situation to his mother, she understood and welcomed the young woman into her home. Sarah, who was well beyond caring about getting married again and finding love, had no jealously for Ophelia, which Ophelia found odd. Asgardians aged very slowly, and even women who were more than hundreds of years old could be jealous of Ophelia.

"Thank you for your hospitality. This is very kind of you."

Sarah smiled. "It's no problem, Ophelia."

"I can take this...couch," said Ophelia.

Steve was setting up the couch for himself, giving Ophelia his own bed.

"Oh, no, dear, that won't do," said Sarah.

"But, this is your home. I am the guest."

For a princess, she understood the humility of Midgardian customs. She was a kind Goddess who always looked out for others, which she learned from her mother.

"Ophelia, it's fine," reassured Sarah. "You can stay here until you get back up on your feet."

She didn't quite understand that phrase since she was already standing on her feet, but she let it go and chose to nod instead. "Thank you, Sarah. You have a very kind and beautiful soul."

Sarah smiled. "Anything to help. Now, I'll be retiring for the night. I have an early shift at the ward tomorrow. Take care of our guest, Steven."

"Yes, Ma."

Sarah retired to her room, and Ophelia sat down on the couch where Steve was seated.

"Thank you, Steven. Truly. You are a very kind person, and so is your mother. You are blessed."

"I don't think I'm so blessed. Look at me, I'm frail," he dryly retorted.

"Psychical appearances means nothing," retorted Ophelia.

"Of course you would say that. You're gorgeous," he muttered, eyes going wide. "Sorry, I didn't mean - "

She giggled. "It's all right. Thank you. You're gorgeous as well."

"Well, I don't know if - "

"Take a compliment."

"Yes, ma'am."

She beamed, proud of herself that she managed to stop Steve from arguing with her any further.

"I'll see you in the morning then?" she asked.

He nodded. "Good night, Ophelia."

She leaned forward to kiss his cheek before standing up. "Good night, Steven." She walked toward his room, but froze. "Do you have any garments I could wear?"

"Huh? Oh!" He scrambled up from the couch. "Yeah, I'll go - I'll go in my ma's room. Give me a minute."

She smiled at how flustered he was, but she learned that she liked that about Steven Grant Rogers.