fourteen

⁀➷

⁀➷

After dinner, Steven brought Ophelia back to the compound on his motorcycle and decided to visit Natasha as well.

Before Ophelia could return to her room, she paused for a moment and briefly kissed his cheek.

"It was a lovely dinner, Steven. I'll pay you a visit before I leave once more."

"You're leaving again?"

She winced. "Others need my help."

"You know that's not what I'm asking. We still haven't talked about us."

"I'm not the same woman from the '40's, Steven," she retorted.

"I don't need you to be. I just want you. You didn't lie to me, did you? When you said you loved me?" he questioned, stepping closer to her.

"I do not exist. Love does not exist," she whispered.

"Ophelia - "

"I've lived many centuries, and I've seen many battles and wars and heartbreaks. When we first met, I was fresh and young and believed in hope and love because I experienced love for the first time with you, but then I went back for you and you were gone. Dead, they said. I was heartbroken, but not entirely broken. Then, years passed and I watched over Midgard and saw the horrors of abuse between couples, both new and old. That's when I knew I was broken. My title meant nothing anymore. I was no longer the Goddess of Love. Humans are monsters, Steven, and we cannot change that."

"I don't care about your title. I care about what you want, and I want to know if what you felt for me is gone," he pressed.

"I will always love you, Steven," she reassured. "You were my first and last love. There has never been a man other than you."

"Sweetheart, don't leave again," he whispered, grabbing her hand to rub his thumb over her knuckles.

"If I stay?"

"We'll try again," he promised.

"And what if you disappear again? You've done that once before. Both my brothers are gone. I do not think I can take anymore."

"I'm not going anywhere, okay?" he questioned. "I just need you in my arms."

"It's been decades, Steven."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, but I'm here now."

She nodded. "I'll stay for a while. There are still countries and cities out there that need help."

He nodded. "I understand. I just need you right now."

"I'm sorry for leaving."

"I'm the one who technically died in the first place," he teased.

She smiled. "When I saw you on that battlefield, I thought I was dreaming."

"Me too, sweetheart. I thought someone banged my head real hard."

The sound of a throat clearing caused the two to look by the threshold of a door. Natasha was standing there, both eyebrows raised.

"Are you going to come in or...?"