twenty-six

"Now, remember– You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities," explained Bruce.

"Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches," said Steve.

"You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back. I miss them, man," Bruce said softly.

"Me too."

"You know, if you want, I can come with you," offered Sam.

Steve shook his head. "You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though." He walked over to Bucky. "Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back."

Bucky offered a smirk. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." They hugged each other before letting go.

Ophelia placed her hands on Steve's shoulders and brushed off invisible dirt. "You can stay in the past," she whispered. "Nothing is holding you back here."

He softly smiled. "Nothing's holding me back here because my life is here. I'm not forced to be here. I'll come back."

He walked over to the Quantum portal.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asked.

"For him? As long as he needs. For us? Five seconds," said Bruce as Steve picked up Mjolnir. "Ready, Cap? Alright. We'll meet you back here, okay?"

Steve nodded. "You bet."

"Going quantum. Three, two, one — " Steve disappeared into the Quantum portal. "And returning in, five, four, three, two, one — "

Steve didn't appear on the pad. Bruce looked around the equipment in confusion.

"Where is he?" Sam questioned.

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here," said Bruce.

The two men began to shout at Bruce, demanding him to bring back Steve. Ophelia could only stand there, nervously biting her nails. She knew Steve was a loyal man, but that was the problem. She almost wasn't sure who he was loyal to. She did desert him, albeit it wasn't her choice, but perhaps there was a part of him that was angry that she left him alone when he needed her most.

A sudden whoosh and Steve was back on the platform. Everyone sighed in relief, and Ophelia nearly fainted at the sight of him.

"Steve, what the hell, man?" Sam asked. "You gave us a heart attacks."

"I got a little caught up. Sorry," he sheepishly said.

Ophelia blinked away her tears and turned on her heel, walking inside the cabin to get a glass of water. Sam, Bucky, and Bruce all glanced at each other before Sam and Bruce looked away and started whistling.

Bucky rolled his eyes. "You might wanna go talk to her before she divorces you."

Steve placed the helmet on the platform and started walking off. "That would be horrible since we're not even married yet."

Steve walked into the cabin, making his way to the kitchen where he could hear the water dispenser in the fridge running. Once the glass was half full, Ophelia drank from it heavily as if she hadn't drank water in days.

"Sweetheart," Steve called out softly.

She wiped the water from her chin. "I know, Steven."

"You were worried," he said.

She nodded. "I was."

"I love you."

"I know. I love you too," she replied.

"No, I love you," he repeated.

She turned around to look at him and he could see the tears in her eyes. He walked forward and embraced her, hand cradling the back of her head as she sniffled.

"I thought you — For a moment, I thought — "

"I know," he said. "But I wouldn't do that to you. You taught me how to love and I'm grateful for that. You're the one for me, Ophelia. Will you do the honors of becoming my wife?"

She chuckled hoarsely, then nodded. "I would love to be your wife."

The two looked at each other and kissed in the middle of the kitchen as the sun was blocked by the trees, creating a shady, warm environment inside the cabin. The sounds of birds chirping and Bucky and Sam bickering could be heard in the background.