seven

⁀➷

⁀➷

The Spring Ball was entertaining in Ophelia's personal opinion, but she was sure she would have enjoyed it more if Steve had been there.

Two days after the ball, she returned to Midgard, naturally walking to the Rogers' apartment. After knocking, she was greeted by Steve's smile.

"Hello, Steven! Is your mother at work once more?"

Steve nodded. "Yeah, the war's gettin' tough."

She pursed her lips and nodded. "Of course. I pray for the best for your mother and you."

"Thanks." He stepped aside and let her in before closing the door behind him.

"Have you eaten?"

He winced. "Well, I had half a can of beans."

"Steven, that's not enough! You're still growing!"

"Ah, geez, you sound like Ma, Phelia."

She pouted, placing her hands on her hips. "Steven."

"It's all right. Ma and I gotta save. War's takin' a toll on everybody."

Her hands flew to her diamond earrings, nimble fingers working to take them off. "If you find a shop who will take them, exchange it for money."

"I can't - "

"You can and you will." She offered him a weak smile. "I can't have the man I love starve."

She didn't regret saying that to him, but she knew she was in trouble for falling in love with a Midgardian man. She would never be able to marry him with the blessings of Odin, and if she did, she would be cast out of Asgard.

"The man you... Ah, geez." He took a seat on his couch, attempting to calm his breathing.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, sitting down next to him to rub his back. "I am not expecting you to feel the same."

"No, I do. I mean I really like you too. Just wasn't expecting it. You're too good to me. I don't deserve you," he rambled.

She frowned and smacked the top of his head.

"Hey!"

"Forgive me, but that's the most idiotic thing you've ever said," she interrupted. "You have a kind soul, Steven. A soul I am drawn to and love. You should not think so lowly of yourself. It does no good."

"Why me?"

"Why not?" she retorted. "I am not repeating myself. You are a good man, Steven. There is no doubt about it. I'm in love with you. Now, you take those jewels and trade them for Midgardian currency."

"Midgardian?" he repeated.

She froze. "Ignore that. Just some gibberish from my homeland." She got up and brushed her hands on her skirt. "I shall return for now, but I will come back."

"Leaving already?" he questioned, unsure of himself.

She leaned down to kiss the corner of his lips. "I will see you again soon, Steven. Never forget. Send your mother my regards."

She smiled before stepping out of the apartment, making her way to the alley.