fifteen

⁀➷

⁀➷

He woke up in labored breaths, slightly sticky and nerved as his eyes adjusted to the darkness of his bedroom in Brooklyn.

"Another nightmare?" Ophelia questioned, lifting herself up on her elbows as the blanket rustled around her naked body.

He shook his head, leaning back into his pillow. "A memory."

He had remembered the old moments with Bucky. The old, scrawny him laughing and smiling with his bigger best friend who always helped him out no matter what. Then, he remembered the brief moment where he turned to dust and disappeared right in front of him as his comrades around him drifted away with the wind.

She hummed, leaning over to brush her nose against his forehead. He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

"I'm sorry," she whispered before pressing a soft kiss to his nose.

"Me too. I should have done more. I held that gauntlet in my hands in Wakanda."

"Steven, I mean this as nicely as possibly, but neither Thor nor I managed to kill him in time, and we are gods. What is done is done. Dwelling on the past will not help the heart and soul heal. You are damaging yourself," she explained.

"I help others and try to tell them everything will get better, but I can't hold my own advice to heart."

"Because that is who you are!" she exclaimed. "You are a good man who worries about others because you care. You look out for your family and friends whilst protecting others. You feel that it is your duty, and while it may be because you are a hero, it is not your duty to take the burden alone."

"What would I do without you?" he questioned.

"The same as you've been doing for the last eighty years," she retorted. "You never needed me, Steven."

"Maybe I don't need you, but I want you in my life."

She hummed. "I'll have to leave soon to help the people of Asgard settle in. I've gotten word from Brunnhilde that Thor has gone a bit...downhill."

"Brunnhilde?" questioned Steve.

"Oh. Well, she doesn't like her real name. She goes by Valkyrie instead. Don't tell anyone."

"Promise."

She smiled and kissed him on the lips. "Go back to sleep. I'll be here when you awaken."

He settled into the blankets, pulling Ophelia closer to him before drifting off to sleep.