nine

⁀➷

⁀➷

Ophelia was situated in her room, sitting on the edge of her bed, and silently polishing her sword.

The door to the room opened and she looked up, freezing as she locked eyes with Steve. He froze in the spot, glancing down at the sword in her lap and back into her eyes. He silently took a step forward and closed the door with his foot. She moved the rag, creating a squeaking sound while keeping eye contact with him.

"Ophelia, what are you doing?"

"I'm polishing my sword. Is it not clear?"

He had just finished shaving the beard he previously wore. Now that his face was clean, she could better see the Steve she once knew in the past.

"Why are you polishing your sword?"

"Steven, it's still coated in the blood from those dogs," she spat out. "I've been a little busy consoling my brother."

Steve remembered the day she appeared in the middle of the battlefield with Thor, Groot, and Rocket clearly. She had aged well, baring a sword that shone in magical runes that matched the runes on her flesh.

She hadn't recognized him until he introduced himself to Groot, but even then, she didn't say anything until an alien rounded on him.

"Focus," she had said.

"How is he?" Steve asked.

Ophelia shrugged, swiping her finger down her sword to make sure it was clean. "Worse than me, but I expect nothing less. He loved Loki. If he was still alive... It wouldn't matter anyway."

"Are you okay?"

"I am fine for a woman who witnessed so much death in the past years. My mother died by elves, my father disintegrated in front of my eyes, my sister was a maniac, my people were slaughtered by Thanos, I watched the life leave my adopted brother's eyes as he was choked by the Mad Titan, and my alive brother is inconsolable and mad with rage. Do you have your answer now?"

"You've changed," he humored.

She nodded, standing up to lay her sword on a desk. "You have too. I remember you smaller. It was nice."

"I remember you smiling. That was nice too," he retorted.

She dryly chuckled. "When you've lost as much as me, there is no reason to smile."

He opened his mouth to respond, but she held up a hand, eyebrows furrowing as she turned to look at her sword. It was vibrating against the desk. She looked toward the glass window before brushing past Steve.

"It's a ship."