Chapter 40

Marinettes pov:
I need to somehow get into my room, I hope the spare key I keep under my chair pillow is still there, and when I look, it is, I pick up the silver key and go to the trapdoor, peeking in before trying to unlock the door. I can't see anyone in there and the lights are off, so I put the key into the padlock and twist. It opens and I slowly open the door, and then drop inside onto my bed. Still sniffling i try and stay as quiet as I can, looking around the dark room for my phone. Where did I leave it? Everything looks cleaned up. So climbing down from my bed I start to go through my draws.
"Bingo!" I whisper as I open my desk draw and my phone slides into view. It's been charged so it's at 100%. I need to call nino. He will help me find chat. So I climb back up onto my bed and through the trap door, locking the lock back in place and leaving the key where I found it. I start to slowly climb down the back of the building, where the electricians usually climb to get to the satellite. When I reach the ground
I run for an alleyway, reaching behind me, I pull my phone out of my back pocket and put the passcode in. So many notifications, ignore them marinette! I tell myself. Going to my call list I see his name. Nino.
And I hit dial.
Ring..
It seems to take forever
Ring..
Does he know I know
Ring..
Will he even help me?
"Hello! Marinette! Are you okay? Where are you? What happened?" He actually sounds convincing. I won't tell him yet, or he might not come. "Nino I need your help. Meet me at the park next to our school. Come alone please." He seems to hesitate. "Alright I'll be there soon." He hangs up and I run through the back streets til I reach the park. He isn't here yet so I hide behind a tree waiting, and soon enough I see nino running into the park. Frantically looking around. So I walk out of the shadows and as he sees me runs towards me. "Marinette!" Hé yells wrapping his arms around me, "are you oka-" I cut him off, "don't touch me!" I yell pushing him away, he looks confused, "cut the crap nino!" I feel tears sting my eyes, threatening to spill. "Where is he?" He has the audacity to look confused, "he?" The boy asks. "Where is chat?" I yell at him, the tears spilling over. He seems taken back, "ch-chat?" He says taking a step back, "I know who you are nino!" I yell at him. "Don't lie to me! Where is he." I beg him. "Marinette let me take you home.." he tries to put an arm around me "no!" I step back, "Nino. I love him. Please." I cry. he takes a step forward, "Come with me marinette, you need to go home. It's late, and your parents are worried sick." He tries to reason, but before he can grab me I run away, "marinette!" I hear him yell as he gives chase and I lose him down an alleyway. My phone starts to vibrate as Nino tries calling me, so I turn it off. I won't need it. Not right now.

Ninos pov:
"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck." I mutter to myself as marinette doesn't answer. How does she know who I am. Did chat tell her?
I dial adriens number, and he answers straight away, clearing his throat he speaks "Nino." Has he been crying, "adrien! Why is marinette looking for chat? What happened?" I almost yell into the phone, trying to keep my composure. "What do you mean?" He sounds surprised. "She just called me and we met at the park. She knows I'm carapace and wanted me to help her find you. What happened?" I ask. He takes a deep breathe, "I took her home. I told her I was leaving for good, I don't want to put her in danger anymore." He seems to choke on his words. "She seems really upset chat." I try and reason with him. "I know." His voice cracks, "make sure she goes back home please nino." He says quietly and hangs up. "But I don't know where she is." I try and say, but it's too late, he's already gone.

Marinettes pov:
I run towards the last place I remember chat taking me through the night, but from the ground most of it looks the same. "arghh!" I cry out in frustration, I know he's in the woods but Ive never payed attention to anywhere but the main streets I used to wander. There are only a few woods around, but they're all massive and without chat I have no chance finding him or his bases. It took around 30 minutes to get here. So it should be like an hour or more walk? I pull out my gps and look around

It's been an hour and a half and I've been tracking though some woods for about 10 minutes. I'm so tired and I just want to go to sleep in chatons arms. But I can't, not until I find him.
I see a shadow cross my head but as I look up I see nothing. Is it him? Should I get my hopes up? "chaaaat!" I call out, trying to run in the direction I saw the shadow go in. "chaaaat! It's me!" I call out stumbling and falling down a small ditch. "Ow!" I rub my ankle at the bottom of the small hole. And tears prick my eyes as I curl up and start to cry.
"Now what do we have here?" I hear a sneering voice say. I look up into the blue eyes of a red haired boy, he kind of reminds me of a mime with his striped clothes.
"Hello marinette, wanna come with me?" He asks giving me a hand, and I take it. "Who are you?" I ask the boy, he looks familiar. "Marinette! No!" I hear nino in his miraculous form running up to me and the red haired man as I feel a clothe being pressed against my mouth and the world starts to black out and spin as I'm picked up and I feel the familiar feeling of wind in my hair.

I wake to being placed on top of a building, once again in the city. "Take a nice rest sweetheart?" The boy says to me in a teasing way. "Why am I back here?" I ask annoyed, I have to walk all the way back again now. "Im sorry for what I did back there, but I realised you were the missing girl, and I'm assuming the boy following you was involved in your kidnapping." Fuck how do I get out of this. "No. You have the wrong girl sorry." I say sitting up, "so you just happened to be roaming the woods calling out to a wanted criminal hmm?" Shit, I look at him. "Who are you?" I ask him. "I'm evillustrator." He says and starts drawing on an iPad attached to his arm, a black flower appears out of no where. "Here." He passes it to me. I take it cautiously, "we just have to wait for your little boyfriend to find you now marinette."
He laughs. He knows who I am? "Yes. I know who you are." It's like he answered my thoughts. "And don't try and escape," I look at him then look around. trying to test him I get up and try and walk away while watching him. "OW!" I stumble to the ground, my ankle feels sore, and as I look down I see a gash on it. Then, a see through box falls on top of me, so I'm trapped and I put my hand against it scared. "warned you pretty girl." He says smugly. But chat left me, he can't save me now. I think sadly. "chats not coming." I say loudly sitting down, my knees to my chest. "Why wouldn't he? After all the effort we put into surprising him when he gets here." He says, walking around the box slowly. "Would be a shame if he wasn't here to see you." He says acting very cocky, surprise? What surprise? I think to myself as I look around I can't see anything that would look like a shock or suspicious. "I told you he's not coming!" I yell at him, tears rolling down my cheeks now as I cry into my crossed arms on my knees. "Feisty. But then again, you have always been like this. Stubborn and emotional, hasn't worked out for you right now has it?" His words hit me, I've always been like this? Who is he, and how does he know me? I look up at him, and he's crouching down in front of me. "If he doesn't come soon. You will be the one to pay." He stands up and walks away behind the corner of the rooftop. And I'm lost in thought.

Ninos pov:
Of course as soon as I find marinette, some psycho 'super hero' also finds her and basically kidnaps her. What am I gonna tell chat? I'm running through the woods, following the tracks of broken branches and the occasional foot print. They belong to evilustrator and he has marinette, as I'm running I decide I need to call chat and get him to me now.
After 2 failed attempts I just keep following the path, what's he doing? I hope marinette okay. It's leading back towards Paris, but why would he take her back there? There's a ringing in my zipper pocket and I drag my phone out quickly, "Nino? Did you get marinette back home?" Adrien asks coldly almost formally. "About that." I chuckle awkwardly, guiltily. "What's wrong." His voice is more attentive now, "I found her, but so did Nathaniel." I say worriedly and chat goes quite. "Chat?" I ask into the phones "send me your location now, don't go anywhere else without me." He hangs up and I stop running to send him where I am.

Chats pov:
"Plagg, claws out!" I say to my kwami, what did marinette do? Why couldn't she just stay home? Why does she make me feel like this. Like I'm out of control around her. I need to get her home and make sure she stays.
I'm jumping through the woods as I reach where carapace is, "Nino!" I call out and he looks up, "where are they?" I ask urgently, I swear if that red headed prick has done anything to hurt my princess I'll do more than bury him 6 feet underground. "Follow me." He orders and I nod, off we go, running full speed down the path of broken branches.