Chances

O L I V I A

"How are you feeling today?"

I look up from my plate towards my father. His eyes were full of concern this morning.

I sigh and push my plate away. "I'm fine."

I had broken the news to my parents right after they got the call. Kimberly had tried to suggest putting the resume day off but I was not wanting to go home right away.

They freaked out big time.

My mom thought I was dead and threatened a new school. Dad was even wanting to go down there and raise hell over it.

"We just want you to be safe," Mom says from the other side of the kitchen. "We worry about you, Liv. This is a big change for you and I can't even imagine how scary this was."

I sigh, "I've been through worse."

They glance at one another for a moment but don't push the conversation.

I get up from the table and head upstairs. I just can't be around them when all it's going to be is concern and fear.

I curl up on my bed and stare down blankly at my phone. All I can think about is Alessio.

He had moved into my mind for good. I kept replaying him so close to me.

His fingers against my skin. The smell of his cologne. He was s-

My phone starts buzzing wildly and pulls me from my thoughts.

"H-hello?"

Kimberly's voice echoes on the other line. "You okay?"

"Yeah sorry about that. I guess I wasn't prepared for your morning call today."

I can practically hear her eyes roll.

"Do you want to hang out today with Austin, Sierra, and I?" She asks.

"Sure. What's the plan?"

"Not sure but I'll be over in an hour to get you."

"Okay. See you in a few." I tell her and the line hangs up.

I hurry through getting ready and rush out the front door. I can hear my mom calling after me but I need some time to myself.

Kimberly looks up and pops her bubblegum.

"Did you hear anything about the job?"

I shake my head in disappointment. I didn't have any call backs yet, but I'm not going to get too upset yet knowing it hasn't even been a full 24 hours.

She smiles again and holds her phone screen up showing the message from the owner. Edgar had told her he loves me and thinks I'd make a great addition.

I start Monday!

We both cheer for a couple of minutes over the thought of working together before heading down the road towards the shopping outlet.

The morning sun beats down on the both of us and it feels good against my exposed legs. The two of us walk swiftly, discussing the latest Westview drama Kimberly had to spill.

Once we met up with Sierra and Austin, the four of us decided to go into a few shops down the strip.

"What do you think?"

I turn around and find Austin's warm smile.

We decided to stop inside of a super cute mom and pop shop with handmade jewelry and adorable antiques.

Austin looks so cute today. His blonde curls under a ball cap and light blue shirt bringing out the colors in his hazel eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.