Promotion

O L I V I A

"I found out last night Tucker resigned."

I look up at Kimberly as soon as she mentions his name.

After Anna had dropped me off back at my house, I hadn't heard very much from any of them.

I knew Alessio was at least alive because he sent me a text this morning saying he loved me but I had no idea what was going on.

It had been days and I had nothing.

I didn't mind it too much though because I really needed the time to breathe and think.

"Resigned?" I ask her and focus on the road ahead of us.

"Yeah," She shrugs and pops her gum."Boss man said he left a letter on his desk. I guess he had to move back home immediately to Texas. Super vague."

I nod a little in response.

Did Tucker actually resign or was this something Alessio made up?

I knew he had gone after them but he didn't say anything about what had happened. I didn't push on it either because I'm sure the truth would just be too much for me to take in.

"What is going to happen now?" I continue.

"Guess we'll find out later."

She pulls the handles open to the school entrance and I stop in my tracks.

Austin's face is plastered all over the hall.

Hundreds of flyers and stunned students huddled around the posters. A couple of police officers walk out from the school office and Sierra follows behind them quickly.

"Sierra! What's wrong?" Kimberly hurries to her side.

She wipes at her red, puffy eyes and throws her arms around Kim's neck before breaking into a mess of sobs.

"Kimberly..."She says through broken words. "Austin is missing...they've been looking for him for days. His dad thought he may have ran off with his friends again like last time but...he hasn't come back."

Last time? I didn't know he had a history of disappearing.

Maybe this will keep Alessio and his family in the clear.

Kimberly reads over the flyer in her hands and tears start to spill. I stand there awkwardly as they pull each other in for a hug and reach out to bring me close to them.

I can't help but cry too.

I knew the truth and I couldn't tell them.

I couldn't take their pain away from this.

Austin is dead. Fucking dead.

Such a permanent sentence.

"I-I got to g-go.

"Olivia!" Kimberly calls out.

I don't stop though. My feet keep moving and I run straight to my new favorite hang out spot.

The girls bathroom to do all of my crying and stress puking.

I rush into the empty stall and curl myself into a ball. My body starts to shake as I break into a hysteric fit.

"I c-can't d-do t-this!" I cough out and bang my head against the stall.

Alessio and his family expected so much from someone like me.

I had to face these people every single day. I would have to see his father around the school asking questions and I would be the one to face my best friends.

How was I supposed to keep quiet? How can I just act so normal?

My phone starts to buzz in my pocket and I pull it out.

Alessio's name flashes across the screen.

Perfect.

"Hello?" I breathe out in a shaky voice.

"Olivia? What's going on?" He asks in a rough voice. It sounds like he just woke up.