Promise

A L E S S I O

"Would you like to explain what happened, Mr. Romano?"

I glance up at the light annoyingly swinging overhead. Officer Harrison is sitting across from me with his notebook in hand doing the same shit he always does.

"Sir, I already told you I was out of state with Olivia and her friend celebrating graduation."

His lips form a tight line. "So you just go out of state the same night there is a massive explosion that occurs on your family's estate."

"I don't know what else to tell you," I sigh and pull out a cigar. "May I?"

He leans over with his lighter to ignite the end. I puff on it for a moment and let the smoke cloud up in between us.

"Do you know of anyone targeting your family right now?"

"No, sir."

He puts his pen down. "This doesn't just happen, Alessio. There were multiple families camping in the woods that evening when it happened."

"And did any of them report seeing someone flee the scene?" I ask and blow a smoke ring.

"No, but there is clearly something going on here."

"Ask my father then," I ash the cigar on the table. "Adolfo may be your man with all the answers."

"Look, you little shit!" He snaps and knocks the cigar from my hand. "I know your family is up to something, Romano. You all think you are so smart but I've heard about you out there on the streets. You are no good and I'll get the upper hand soon enough to lock your asses away for good."

I pick up the cigar from the table and take another puff. "I'll be waiting then, sir."

He glares at me and swipes the smoke away from his face before standing up from his chair. "If you have information, call me."

I stand up and grab my jacket. "Of course."

"Yeah," He looks at me strangely. "Any information on my boy, Romano?"

"No, sir. Nothing new. I'm sure he will show up soon enough."

"We'll be in touch, Alessio. Make sure Olivia knows the same." He folds his arms. "I'm not like these other cops here. I know when something is going on."

"Of course, you aren't sir. Have a wonderful rest of your day." I say respectfully and step out from the room as the door slams.

"Ooo," Anna muses from her seat. "Tough crowd, huh?"

"I guess so," I passed her a cigarette. "Nothing we haven't been through before."

"I can't say I blame him," She starts as we head out towards the car. "It's not like every day you hear about a local billionaire's mansion under attack."

"Any word yet?"

"Well, we're lucky nobody died but clearly Jesus is getting closer. He's probably still using someone else so he doesn't have to get his hands dirty."

"Thought so,"I ran my fingers through my hair. "We'll get him. I swear."

She leans against the car. "What if he's not even in California?"

"I'm sure of it. He wouldn't want to miss the show."

I'll take your word for it. What's the plan for today?"

"Giovanni and I have some stuff to handle, but I need you to go with Beto."

"Why Giovanni?" She groans.