Brothers

O L I V I A

"Thank you for coming tonight."

I smile up at Tucker and pick the crust from my pizza. We had decided on the little shop that was only a block from the cafe.

I was grateful he had decided on this place. It was always empty and the pizza was some of the best in the area.

It has been twenty minutes already and we haven't even touched on the topic of Alessio. I knew it would be coming soon and I was just getting queasy thinking about it.

"Want some ice cream?" Tucker says randomly. I nod and stand up from the booth.

He tosses some money down on the table and the two of us walk awkwardly down the sidewalk to the little shop on the corner.

The seriousness of the situation was really starting to weigh down on me. I knew it would be getting late soon and after what I pulled, my mom would not let me off tonight.

Tucker smiles at me and nods to the menu. "What are you thinking?"

The both of us decide on plain vanilla cones with sprinkles and hot fudge. I'm typically not a huge sweets fan but I needed something packed full of calories and carbs right now.

I'm a huge stress eater.

"I'm paying."

He rolls his eyes, "In your dreams!"

"You already paid for dinner."

Tucker raises his hands in surrender as I pass the employee a twenty and wait for my change. We take the cones and head over to a window seat facing out towards the beach.

"So..."Tucker says and licks at the dripping ice cream, "We should talk?"

I stare down at the ice cream in my hands and nod. "I know."

"Who is he to you?"

I press my lips tight and think for a moment. There really was no point in not telling Tucker the truth.

If I sugar coated anything, I would just feel horrible about it later.

Tucker had been a "bandaid"

"We have history."

He stares at his cone. "So...you aren't just friends?"

"No, we aren't just friends." I sigh and look at him. "I promise while he was gone...it was just you and I."

Tucker nods and a few ginger curls fall from place, "I understand, Olivia."

"I'm sorry," I reach out and touch his hand. "I never meant to hurt you."

"I know, Olivia. I know."

He gives my hand a squeeze and I sigh a little. "What now?"

"Be happy, Olivia. You clearly have a lot of feelings for him and I don't want you to stay with me out of pity. I understand why you would want to pick him."

Maybe in another world I would've picked Tucker. We would still have our ice cream dates and crappy movie nights.

I'd never have to worry about the things I'll be concerned about with Alessio. In another world, I would have picked him.

"Thank you for always being so nice, Tucker."

He grins back and finishes his cone up. A bit of ice cream gets stuck on his lip and he dabs at it. I decide to chuck the rest of mine away and pull my cell out.

"I should probably head back soon. My mom is already pissed at me." I tell him.

Tucker nods and the two of us scoot out from the booth and head outside. The street lights are starting to turn on and it seems the traffic in the area had disappeared.

"Thank you, Tucker," I tell him as we walk back to his car. "I had a nice time and I appreciate our chat."

He gives me a little smile but doesn't respond. For the rest of the walk we kind of just walk next to one another in silence.

I notice he has his hands shoved in his pockets and he almost looks extremely uncomfortable or worried.

"Are you alright?" I ask him.

He looks at me a little but doesn't seem to relax. "I'm alright."

Every possible scenario goes through my head and I wonder if Tucker is considering firing me from the cafe.

I knew that could be a possibility since I'm sure it would make him feel better to know we weren't working around one another.

I walk inside the cafe with him and gather my stuff in my hands. Tucker heads back towards the office and I assume he's probably changed his mind about giving me a ride home.

I pull my phone from my pocket and figure I'd just give Alessio a call to get me.

"Tucker, I'm heading out."

I turn around and smack into something solid and wide. I stumble back a little and nearly fall over the table behind me.

"Hello, darling."

I stare blankly at the man before me and watch as he pulls his hood down. Several tattoos cover his bald head and face. He has a variety of gold and silver caps on his yellowing teeth.

"W-who are you?" I stammer and look around for Tucker.

Tucker exits from the back kitchen and I realize he has a gun tucked in his hand.

I look between the both of them, "What the fuck is happening?"

Tucker doesn't say a word and clicks the safety off the gun. He continues to stare past me at the man standing behind me.

"Jesús", Tucker nods in acknowledgement. "Nice to see you."

"Who is this?" I beg and try to grip at Tucker's jacket. He pushes me away harshly and smooths out the crinkles.

"Don't act like you need me now, Olivia."

"What are you doing? Who is this?"

Tucker laughs darkly, "Meet Alejandro's big brother. I'm sure you remember him."

My brows pull together and I try to rack my brain for whoever the hell they were talking about.

"Your precious little boyfriend murdered him," He spat at me. "He killed him and dropped his fucking head off in a damn box."

I thought back to the day when those men arrived at the school. The guy that approached me looked a lot like him. He had the same gang tattoos and spanish accent.

"I-I have nothing to do with what happened."

"It doesn't matter, princess," He laughs loudly. "You are involved and you obviously mean something to the Italian little shit head."

"There's no way Alessio could..."I trail off.

Would he really do that to someone? I know what he is, but would he really do something so horrifying.

"Don't be fucking dense. You know damn well who he is and what he does."

"I don't know what you are talking about." I lie and turn my attention to Tucker. "Why are you even involved with these people?"

"They paid me."

"For what?"

Tucker laughs and the sound sends a chill down my spine. I watch as he turns into someone I don't recognize.

His features look almost devil like and he leans down close enough so his breath tickles my ear as he speaks.

"For you, baby."

I start to scream out as his words echo through my head.

Within seconds I'm being consumed by the dark.

⟡ ⟡ ⟡