Thirst

A L E S S I O

"I can't put her through this, Anna. Olivia deserves more than what I can give her right now. How am I supposed to even get out of this obligation with Monica?"

"Suck it up, Alessio! Figure it the fuck out."

I glare over at her but she continues on.

"You're going to be the don of this family, Alessio. Stop acting like you aren't! You take what you want and right now Olivia is upstairs. Don't think about Monica right now."

I know Anna is right. She usually always is.

I just can't stop thinking about the damage this is doing to Olivia. How am I going to figure this out?

"What would I do without you," I say playfully and she swats at me.

"You'd be lost," She chuckles. "I'm always here."

"I know."

"What are we doing about Jesús?"

I light my cigarette and toss her one. "I'll find him."

"What's Adolfo's opinion on this?"

I shrug, "I could care less."

"Really? Why does my opinion mean so little to you, Figlio?" (Translation: son)

Anna and I turn to find him stepping out onto the patio. He's wearing his usual red satin morning rob and has a cigar dangling from his wrinkled lips.

"I have everything under control."

"You didn't inform me of your intentions last night, Alessio," Adolfo mutters and blows smoke out. "You know you need to run things by me."

"I had everything under control."

He puts a hand on my shoulder, "Yet, Jesús got away?"

I shrug him off. "I said I have this under control. If you want me to take on these responsibilities you need to let me handle things."

"I'm still in charge here, Alessio."

I shake my head. "Act like it then, Adolfo."

He looks over at me but I pay him no mind and turn around. I flick my cigarette butt to the ground and hear him speak up from behind.

"I know you are still fucking around with that little girl, son. Don't think for one second Monica won't kill her if she finds out."

I turn on my heel and rush after him. "Leave Olivia out of this. She's no business of yours."

"She is my business, Alessio."

"You're investing in her father's business, not Olivia. If you want to turn them into one of your drug rings, I can't stop you."

He smiles crookedly with the cigar still perched. "Should I run it dry and send your little girlfriend home to New York? You know it would take me less than 12 hours to ruin them."

"You know they could help increase a generous profit for you. You wouldn't ruin that chance." I remind him.

Adolfo's intentions were not pure at all. It killed me knowing Olivia didn't know the kind of business her father was partaking in.

Olivia's father works for a company called Vector Global. They try to assist their own clients with things like money management and helping grow their businesses.

Adolfo takes businesses like this one and uses it as a way to launder money quietly. They also see it as a chance to partner with other mafia organizations legally through Vector.

The business has had it's mafia ties for years and Olivia's father knows it.

Vector Global is dirty and his family has had no idea that they had been funding their salaries through organized crime activity under the surface and through shady clients.

When things got rough, they offered him a higher paying position in return for getting Adolfo to invest.