Mine

O L I V I A

"I'm fat."

I roll my eyes at Kimberly who is now analyzing her " baby bump" from every possible angle.

"Still look thin to me." I tell her.

"Well you get to stay skinny!" She groans and falls onto my bed dramatically. "I'm going to be a whale."

"You'll be okay."

"So..."She starts and moves onto her side. "What's the plan for your party?"

"Do I really have to do this whole graduation party thing?"

I wasn't in any kind of party mood. When I wasn't with Kimberly, I was trying to study and prepare what I could manage for the upcoming art show.

I haven't really painted in what felt like months now. I had no inspiration anymore.

"Please!" She begs. "I just need an escape."

"As long as you don't invite the whole school."

She glares, "I'm not that dumb."

"You are full of surprises."

She laughs and pulls her phone out."I know, I know."

There's a knock on my bedroom door. My mom walks in carrying a load of clean laundry. Her dark wavy hair down and framing her face and bright blue eyes.

"Hey girls!" She cheers and sets the basket down. "I have news."

I sit up on my forearms. "What news?"

She claps her hands together. "Aunt Macy and some of your friends are coming in from New York for the party!"

I break out into a smile. "Are you serious? Amy?"

She nods, "Amy, Katherine, Cleo, and Macy. I tried to contact Michelle but no word yet."

I can't believe it. My childhood friends are coming to California!

Kimberly pouts, "I thought I was your friend."

I laugh and smack her shoulder."You are my friend! You can have more than one."

"I suppose."

"How many people should I expect...to be at this party?" I ask my mom.

"Up to you, dear. Just don't go too crazy." She says to me but her eyes stay locked on Kim.

"Hey! I'm not doing anything." She protests.

Mom laughs and just shakes her head as she makes her exit.

"So have you decided on a place in New York?" Kim asks.

"No." I frown.

I had been trying to do my own research while I had some free time. Aunt Macy and Amy had been kind enough to even go view a couple and send me pictures.

They were all so expensive and I was a nervous wreck on how I was going to have enough saved by the time I had to move.

Macy offered her place for a few months but I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of living with a ton of cats and her excessive smoking habits.

"I did find a cute little loft but I don't know." I tell Kim. "Kind of pricey. I started packing a few things but now I don't know."

Her eyes flick over to the only two boxes packed in the corner of the room. I had started on a few things but with so much time left and barely any money who knew what would happen now.

I just couldn't really focus on anything and finding a job out in New York would be a bit of a challenge with me stuck here.

"You have Summer break to figure it out." Kim points out. "Why not stay at the college?"