Masquerade

O L I V I A

"Hey beautiful."

My eyes flutter at the sound of Alessio's voice and I wake up to the brightness of the sun glaring in my eyes. Something soft strokes up and down the skin of my arm.

It feels good...

There's something else though.

Soft breeze against my skin. Exposed skin.

Exposed. Bare.

I immediately sit forward and cover my chest. I realize Alessio is sitting next to me on the lounge chair and staring out towards the setting sun.

"You're beautiful, Olivia. I wish you wouldn't hide yourself.

I ignore his compliment and pull my straps back up over my chest. He waits until I'm finished and looks back at me. The sun casts shadows against his high cheekbones.

He silently leans forward and rests his forehead against mine. "It's time to get ready, love. Anna is waiting."

I nod a little and let him lead me upstairs back to Anna's room. She's sitting in the middle of her bed with several black boxes

"Here you go." She says and impatiently tosses me a box.

Inside I found a pair of black stiletto shoes with red bottoms. Tiny diamonds decorate the surface.

"Love those!" Anna grins and tosses me another with no warning.

There's a gorgeous teardrop diamond necklace inside with matching earrings.

"Wow!" She nods in approval,"Alessio really does have good taste."

"Anna..."I start. "What kind of party is this?"

She doesn't respond. Instead, the last box lands in my hands.

Inside there is a cute and dainty black mask with intricate details through the matte mask that seems to expand out like little butterfly wings with silver glitter. It is stunning but the sight of it makes my stomach hurt.

She chuckles when she notices my expression. "Did he not mention that it's a masquerade ball?"

"A ball!? You have to be kidding!" I drop the mask.

She rolls her eyes. "Stop being so dramatic. You'll be fine and you'll look gorgeous."

I start to pipe up and argue with her when a pair of unfamiliar girls walk in with two portable chairs and what looks to be salon equipment.

"Makeup and hair time!" Anna winks.

The two girls set up shop in the bathroom. Anna decides to pop open a bottle of wine and pours out to glasses for us both.

"How many people will be there?" I ask and look down at my shaky hands.

"Maybe fifty...maybe two hundred."

"Two hundred." I repeat robotically.

"What's the problem?" She laughs.

I look over at her. "I'm the problem, Anna! I'm not masquerade material."

She sighs and takes a drink. "It's really no big deal. We host these parties every year."

I nod and decide to change the subject. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

I try to swallow the lump in my throat. "People tend to talk a lot...about things...with your family."

"Things?" Anna raises her brow.

"Things that are not necessarily legal."

My skin is burning hot. I'm so worried I will say the wrong thing.