RIP

O L I V I A

"This way."

Mateo nods towards the staircase ahead of us. He's already not looking too great and is looking pretty pale and sweaty.

As concerned as I am for his current state I just couldn't seem to pull my eyes from where Alessio disappeared.

Was this really our last time seeing one another? Would I wake up and find out he wouldn't be coming back to me?

Alessio is smart but his father is the don of the family. He would have more than just Tobias and Michele there to back him up.

Alessio could be walking right into a room full of people ready to kill him on sight.

Besides...did he really have enough hate towards Adolfo to kill him? Could he go through with actually killing his father?

Deep down...I knew a lot of this was my own fault.

If my dad would've never said yes to the job change, I wouldn't of ended up here. And even if I did, I should've listened to the rumors about the Romano family.

I should've kept my distance. Maybe I would've settled down with some other California boy or found someone in New York when I went back.

Or, I would've been just fine on my own. Alessio's life would've moved on without me interfering with any of it.

Adolfo would have no reason to have a grudge against him for telling me about the family.

I should've moved on the moment I laid eyes on him. I let my own curiosity put me here and now several people I care about could be murdered tonight.

"Miss Moore?"

I look back at Mateo. His face glittering with beads of sweat.

"Please, Mateo. You're always so formal." I smile gently. "Just call me Olivia"

"Force of habit," He chuckles and I help guide him onto the first step. "I'm sorry you are involved in this."

"Don't apologize. I love Alessio and I decided to be part of this."

He shakes his head. "Alessio would've never wanted this for you."

I frown at him and look ahead as we move slowly up the stairs. "Do you think he'll be okay?"

"He's smart, dear." He assures me. "Alessio always finds a way to get out of any situation."

I nod a little but try to keep focused as we approach the door leading to the upper level. Mateo's weight was growing increasingly more heavy as he held onto me.

"Which way to the clinic?" I ask as we step into the hall.

"That way, "He points a shaking hand in the opposite direction. "Right down the hall and through that last door."

I shift his weight onto me and we continue to move through the darkness. The main level was still eerily quiet and dark.

It was almost as if everyone had evacuated.

"Too bad Tobias turned out to be a traitor," Mateo groans. "I could've used his medical expertise."

"Do you guys have someone else?"

"Yes, don't worry about me. I just want to get you somewhere safe."

The two of us try to move as quickly as we can through the great room. There appears to be some kind of movement just outside the double glass front doors but inside is so still I can hear our hearts beating.

"Quickly," He whispers and looks around the dark. "You never know who is hiding."

I pick up our pace a little and set my eyes on the doors ahead of us. The only thing really driving me was knowing how much Alessio needed me to help him with this right now.