♡ Bedtime Stories

Age: 23

The night of Tony's funeral had come to a close. The last of the mourning guests had exited your home, leaving you, Morgan and Pepper all to yourselves. You had snuck away, finding yourself in the basement, looking at Tony's stuff.

You rummaged through boxes, finding nothing but old picture albums and spare suit parts. You took a seat in his comfy chair, curling yourself into a ball and closing your eyes, expecting to hear footsteps trudging down the stairs and hearing his voice screaming at you to get out of his chair.

But you never heard his footsteps, and you never heard his voice. You opened your eyes and let in a deep breath, before breaking down into tears. You leaned against his table, folding your arms and laying your head down and letting out soft sobs so nobody upstairs could hear you.

Tears rolled off of your face and splashed onto the table like salty raindrops, and you began to hear soft footsteps making their way down the basement stairs. You looked up, seeing Morgan dressed in her pajamas, holding a teddy bear close to her chest.

"Mommy told me to tell you that it's bedtime" Morgan said while swaying back and forth. "Okay, I'll be up in a second" You breathed out, wiping the tears away from your face. You laid your head back against the table, closing your eyes and wishing Morgan would leave so you could continue to grieve in peace.

You looked back up, the child still bearing her eyes at you. "Morgan, go upstairs" You sniffled. She shook her head. "You promised I could sleep with you, tonight" She batted her eyelashes at you, stepping off of the stairs and walking towards you.

The night that you had found out Tony died, was the beginning of your 3-day no sleep period. You haven't had the chance to fall asleep, because you were too busy sobbing over the loss of your father, which you couldn't seem to grasp on to the idea of him not being here anymore.

Morgan noticed you weren't sleeping, because every morning she would go to wake you up you were already out of bed, and in the basement, crying. She made you pinky swear that you and her would sleep in bed together, so she could make sure you actually fall asleep.

"Shit, Morgan. I'm sorry. I'll be up in bed soon, I promise" You smiled. She nodded and began to walk upstairs, before turning to you and pointing her little finger at you. "5 minutes!" She exclaimed before running up the stairs. You laughed at her excitement, quickly retreating your smile into a frown as thoughts of Tony quickly flooded your mind.

You retreated upstairs, thrown off by the darkness of the living room as you made your way upstairs to your bedroom. You opened the door and saw Morgan sitting and waiting patiently for you, grinning widely as you entered.

"I thought you'd never come" She said, laying back on your bed. "Well, here I am" You muttered, laying next to her. You pulled the blanket over your bodies before hearing Morgan let out a tiny sigh.

"Can you tell me a bedtime story?" She asked.
"About what?" You countered, looking towards your little sister who was staring up at the ceiling.

"Daddy." She replied.

You held your breath, knowing very well that any story you would tell about Tony, you would start bawling. "Sure. Dad was Iron Man, Iron Man was an Avenger, the end!" You laughed nervously, earning a loud groan from the child.

"A better one. Tell me a funny story" She looked over at you, your gazes meeting as you struggled to pick just one story to tell her.

"One time, when I was little, dad made me take dancing lessons, and I hated them. So, one day he made me stand on his feet and he taught me how to dance. Another time, dad and I were cleaning our old house, in Malibu, and we just continued adding onto the mess, we weren't even cleaning!" You smiled, feeling your tears threatening to overflow from your eye lids.

"He used to cuddle me through thunderstorms, and we always did everything together. Like, everything. He took me everywhere, I was his right hand woman" You began to cry, feeling as Morgan used the blanket as a tissue, wiping your eyes and patting your back.

Morgan laid her head on your shoulder, wrapping her arms around you. "Thank you for the stories" She sighed, closing her eyes. "Anytime, bub" You pressed a kiss on top of her head, before running your fingers through her silky hair.

"I miss daddy, Y/N" She blurted out.
"I know," you said "I miss him too".