Beneath the Surface

The team was at Hayley's, Kira and Conner were trying to work on schoolwork, Alexander was reading a book, and Ethan was repeatedly shouting at his game.

"Oh, no you didn't," Ethan protested to his computer, "Eat laser you intergalactic freak!"

Alexander closed his book and began to lightly hit his forehead with it.

"Dude, do you mind," Conner asked Ethan, who just ignored him.

"Made it to level twelve," Ethan cheered.

Conner locked eyes with Alexander who simply said, "Please."

He nodded, leaned over, and shut off Ethan's laptop.

"Hey," Ethan protested, "What are you doing?"

"I can't concentrate with you blowing up things in my ear," Conner explained.

"But it took me three hours to get to that level."

"Sorry, but I'm with Conner on this one," Kira added, "We got a paper due tomorrow and why aren't you working on yours?"

"Finished it last week," Ethan answered, "Trent and I jammed on it while you guys were out being David Beckham and --"

"Don't even say it," Kira cut him off.

"Wasn't going to," Ethan responded carefully.

"Where's Trent, anyway," She asked, "I thought he was working today."

"Hayley gave him the day off," Alexander answered.

"I think he's probably spending a little quality time with his dad," Conner added, looking at Alexander, "You feeling better?"

"I'll be fine," He responded simply, "If I survive hurricane Hayley, that is."

"She does seem really protective," Kira said.

"Yeah, why is that," Conner asked.

"A bit of a personal story," Alexander answered, his posture straightening and his prior relaxed attitude hardening as memories started flashing behind his eyes.

"It's just that you never tell us about your past, really," Conner continued, "Other than you're Dr. O.'s son, but even then you don't really act like it."

"I beg your pardon," Alexander growled.

"Maybe we drop it," Kira suggested, shooting Conner a glare after noticing how tense Alexander had gotten.