Leader of the Whack

Author's Note: It's been a hot minute, and I'm so sorry. Work's been kicking my rear end and writing this chapter has been, too. I didn't want to take the easy way out and just make Alexander a happy, go-lucky schmuck, so I tried to give him a bit more of a realistic reaction, in my opinion. I'll be back at the end of the chapter, so until then, happy reading and thank you all for your patience!

The team was scattered around HQ: Conner was kicking a soccer ball around, Ethan playing a game on his laptop, Kira playing music on her guitar, and Alexander was swinging a practice sword around. Hayley was trying to concentrate on another scan of the amber with the chaos surrounding her.

"McKnight on a breakaway," Conner said, shuffling around with the ball.

"Hayley, one more level and I break my all-time record," Ethan added, excitedly.

Connor launched his soccer ball at Ethan's computer, shutting it down.

"Conner..."

"Sorry."

"Now I have to start all over," Ethan complained.

"Yeah, there's this great new thing called the outdoors," Conner responded, "You might want to check it out."

"Tell you what, I'll check that out when I see you checking out the library," Ethan fired back.

Conner chuckled, "You got about as much chance as seeing that as seeing Kira at a fashion show."

Kira looked up from her guitar, "Do you really want to go there?"

"Yikes," Ethan offered.

Conner thought for a second, "Well, same thing goes with Alexander at any--"

"Pick your next words carefully," Alexander cut him off, flourishing his practice sword, no doubt reminding Conner of all the bruises it had caused.

"Double yikes," Ethan said, the two dropping the subject, walking over to Hayley, "Hey, any luck de-fossilizing Dr. O.?"

"Not yet," Hayley admitted, "I just can't find an energy source that can safely break the molecular bonds of the amber."

"What if you used my Dino Gem," Alexander asked, slinging his sword over his shoulders, "It's certainly packed with power."

"I could probably use it as a catalyst but I need something more powerful," Hayley said, "Even then, I don't know what it could do to the gem, or you for that matter."

"One way to find out," Alexander responded lackadaisically, pulling his bracelet off and chucking it on the table.