CHAPTER 22: SWORD AND SHIELD

Would suggest to reread the previous chapter for better understanding.

                   ◾◾◾⚜◾◾◾

Red

Splash  The sound resonated through the room as the chilling water washed across his clean shaven face.

Taking a deep breath he stepped back, forcefully pulling his drenched hair over his forehead.
"You always have a chance."
Those words kept repeating in over and over again, no matter what he did for them to stop.

"Shut up!!!!just stop!!"
Digging his fingers into the porcelain basin he let out a primal scream releasing all his frustration, anger from the pit of his stomach.

Panting he took in his full appearance in  the mirror —eyes puffed as his name hair drenched and splattered across his forehead. Blood which was splattered across the mirror was now dripping across his knuckles. He shakingly pulled out the shard embedded in his right knuckle before disposing it of in the same sink.
He was not even sure if he was drenched in sweat or water—he cared less.

Walking out of the washroom he entered in the adjoining solar, still engulfed in his grim thoughts.

"I could get use to it. " he clenched his teeth recognizing the feminine voice, turning around he confirmed his guess.
Sitting on his desk was no other than the lavender haired girl.
"What are you doing here." He asked in a monotonous tone, without skipping a beat.

"Ah cant I  come and see you. " Anabel said walking past the table and towards him,she had mischievous glee on her face as she poked his bare chest before grazing her fingers against his shaved face.
"Looking good." She Smirked looking at his annoyed state.
He clenched his jaw harder as her face moved just mere inches from his.

For a moment her fingers tingled behind the back of his neck before she continued "Father asked for your presence in the lab, now."

He shrugged her off of him before heading towards his closest, he took out a black shirt and threw it across his bed.
"Can I " he asked dryly, while motion her to leave.

"Yeah but I'm more than comfortable here." She said, moving back and taking a sit on his study."Black suits you." She added while shamelessly observing him dress.

He shrugged before pulling the tshirt over his head,he cared less about anabel or her actions and he could tolerate her as long as she could distract him from venturing back to his thoughts.

"What's this, a diary!" She said with a chuckle as she picked up the book which was lying beside her."So red even has a habit of writing"

He swiftly pulled the tshirt down and turned towards her "Dont touch it!"

"But isn't it a bit girly" she laughed,  before pulling out a weathered sunflower from it."not that I'm complaining, its actually pretty...." she said in between chuckles.
But suddenly her face fell and turned into a scowl.

He expected her to leave or rather retort with something witty. But the thing he didn't expect was her walking towards him and holding his hand.
"Its bleeding." She said, tenderly holding his knuckles.

"Its nothing." Red replied, trying to pull his hand back. But her grip tightened as her face morphed from concern to authoritarian.

She observed the wounds before heading straight to the washroom. " what are you doing. " red tried stopping her by grabbing her by the wrist but she forcefully shrugged him off.

It were Not even minutes after she walked out, scowl on her face, did she lashed out at him.

"So many years and you are Still chasing after ghosts. Still chasing after that bitch, How could you? I thought... I thought you. " she gulped the rest of the words before her fury once again returned. "Your brother's no different than you and how unfortunate his case won't be any different than yours." She spat venomously.