𝐈𝐈𝐈. getting jack's help

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐃

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐃. as soon as she looked out the window, she remembered the events of the previous night. the fort was in disarray, but at least she was alive. she had snuck home easily, but had heard plenty more explosions and gunshots behind her.

bella hurried to get ready, dressing somewhat casually in a dark red gown. she placed her father's playing card in her bra, as always. it was almost involuntary for her, since she had done it for so many years. she barely even thought about it anymore.

as she walked towards the door, she passed her mother in the dining room, much to her dismay.

"where are you headed?"

"i'm going to see if any extensive damage was done to the fort," she fibbed.

"well, that much is obvious," her mother countered. "you won't be going out."

"actually, i want to make sure how the... marines are reacting," bella lied again. thankfully, her mother believed this one.

"very well," she sighed. "send them all my best."

"i will."

bella hurried down the road to the center of the fort, where norrington was convened with some other men. will was racing towards them worriedly. she arrived at the scene just as will cried: "they've taken elizabeth!"

bella was taken aback. although she and elizabeth had never been the best of friends, she knew will loved her. norrington attempted to remove him, but will protested. suddenly, one of the marines chimed in. "that sparrow... he mentioned the black pearl."

"make a deal with him, he can lead us to it!" will said, eyes ablaze. when norrington declined, will flipped out. he stabbed the table violently!

norrington dragged him over to the side, near where bella was eavesdropping. "do not make the mistake of thinking you are the only man here who cares for elizabeth," he said in a low voice.

bella took this as her chance. if the marines weren't willing to make a deal with jack, she sure was. something about him screamed familiarity and trust, and she wasn't about to pass up a journey involving pirates.

bella casually walked past will. norrington had turned around. "good day, commodore! my mother sends her best."

"good day, miss stevens," he waved.

subtly, bella grabbed will and pulled him with her towards the jail.

"where are we going?" he asked.

"you know where."

"bella, you want to save elizabeth?"

"either that or i want to get out of this town," bella answered, dragging him to the jail.

the two hurried down the stairs, where jack was lying on the floor of his cell.

"you! sparrow!" will said. "you are familiar with that ship. the black pearl."

"i've heard of it," jack answered nonchalantly.

"where does it make berth?" will said. from behind him, bella almost laughed at how uninformed he was.

"where does it make berth?" jack repeated. "have you not heard the stories?"

will looked back at jack expectantly.

"captain barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded isla de muerta. it is an island that can not be found, except by those who already know where it is," jack said. he half-sat up, and saw bella behind will. immediately, his smile intensified. "come to visit again, love?"

"you know him?" will said in disbelief.

"briefly," bella dismissed him.

"well, the ship's real enough," will continued. "therefore, its anchorage must be a real place, where is it?"

"why ask me?" jack said innocently.

"because you're a pirate," will admitted.

"and you want to turn pirate yourself, is that it?" jack asked.

"never," came will's harsh reply.

"that's no fun," bella smirked.

"why, have you considered it?" will turned to her sternly.

"he doesn't know?" jack asked her from the other side of the bars. he was, of course, referring to her father.

bella shook her head slightly, but changed the subject. "they've taken miss swann." she cast a glance at will, and jack understood.

"oh, so it is that you've found a girl!" he clapped. "well, if you're intending to brave all, hasten to her rescue, and so win fair lady's heart... you'll have to do it alone, mate. i see no profit in it for me."

"i can get you out of here," will said.

"how's that, will, the dog's gone," bella said to him.

"i helped build these cells," will told them, examining the jail door. "these are half-pin barrel hinges. with the right leverage and the proper application of strength, the door will lift free."

"what's your name?" jack asked him.

"will turner."

"that would be short for william. good, strong name. no doubt, name for your father, eh?"

"yes."

"uh-huh... well, mr. turner, i've changed me mind," jack said, standing up. "if you spring me from this cell, i swear on pain of death, i shall take you to the black pearl and your bonny lass. do we have an accord?"

will shook jack's hand firmly. "agreed."

"agreed. get me out."

will destroyed the cell door. "hurry, someone will have heard that."

"not without my effects," jack grabbed his sword and checked the shot in his pistol.

"why bother with that?" will scowled at jack. "you could have escaped if you killed me, but you weren't willing to use it."

jack glanced at bella for a second, then raised the pistol up at will. "are you advising me that was a mistake?" he asked.

bella frowned. "jack—"

"when you've only got one shot, it's best to wait for the opportune moment," he continued. "that wasn't it."

jack lowered his arm. bella sighed in relief.

"nor is this," he finished, tucking the gun into his belt. "will you be joining us, miss stevens?"

"it's still bella," she said, smiling at the captain. "and yes, the time came. told you, i'm not arguing."

he grinned back.

she was one-of-a-kind, truly. but her smile . . . her smile dared him to fall in love with her.

 her smile dared him to fall in love with her