𝐕𝐈𝐈. captain's cabin

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐃𝐔𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌, the crew was knocked out below deck

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐃𝐔𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌, the crew was knocked out below deck. soon enough, darkness fell. the bright moon emerged from behind the clouds, casting beautiful patterns on the water. bella leaned over the railing, staring out at the sea ahead of her.

"most of the crew is asleep," she heard jack step up next to her. "including young william."

she glanced at him, then looked back at the water. "he's had an exciting few days."

bella could feel jack's eyes on her. "have you?" he asked.

she smiled. "i guess so," bella answered. "i can only imagine how my mother reacted to our grand escape."

a pause commenced.

"you tired yet?" jack's gaze on her was unmoving.

she turned to face him, playful smile still on her lips. "i think all those nights sneaking out have caused me to develop an immunity to exhaustion."

jack laughed lightly. "if you change your mind, you should sleep in the captain's cabin."

she furrowed her brows. "the same bed norrington has laid in? i'd prefer the crow's nest."

the look on jack's face suggested that he was enjoying their banter. "suit yourself, love," he said, turning away from her to look out at the ocean. "the bed in the captain's quarters always seems to be more comfortable..."

bella laughed and rolled her eyes in response.

"no, no, but if you insist," he continued. "mr. gibbs is a talented snorer."

"i think i'll manage," bella told him.

"all right," he looked back down at her. "tell me if you need anything."

she eyed him questioningly. "why are you trying to spoil me?"

jack half-smiled. "good question."

bella shook her head and looked back at the ocean. this man was something else.

"i've got a better one," she finally broke the silence. if she was going to sail with jack, she needed to understand his intentions. "why did you become a pirate anyway?"

jack looked a bit taken aback.

"if you don't want to tell me——"

"shhh," jack cut her off. he gazed at her a moment, then grabbed her hand and pulled her with him. cotton was at the helm, and a couple other crew members were standing on the quarterdeck.

jack opened the door to the captain's cabin and led her inside.

"jack, i told you, i'm sleeping with the crew——"