𝐈. drawing of a key

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍 danced across the blue waters, midnight chill approaching

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍 danced across the blue waters, midnight chill approaching. only the faint splash of waves was audible . . . the silence was otherwise deafening.

the black pearl glided smoothly through the night, dark, deep, and beautiful.

feet hanging over the rail, bella stared at the shadowed structure ahead of the ship, a prison. she could hear the muffled screams, even from their distance. it sent a chill down her spine.

bella's gaze shifted down to the water. rowing towards them was a small wooden box, figure sticking out of it. the figure approached steadily, but she already knew who it was. she broke into a smile and hopped off of the railing to meet her beloved.

captain jack sparrow had given bella the time of her life. it had been everything she'd hoped for; free and exciting. not to mention, she was falling more in love with him every day. they had spent the past year flirting, kissing, caring, and loving. bella was convinced it was out of a fairytale. a unique fairytale, where the princes and princesses were pirates. jack made her feel special in ways nobody could ever match.

some women would fear the fire. but bella? bella simply became it.

however, lately he had been showing a disconnect. maybe she was imagining it, but something was keeping him from being his regular self.

she joined the rest of the crew as jack climbed up the ladder to the ship. he plopped a rotting skeletal leg into gibbs' outstretched hand.

"not quite according to plan," he commented.

"complications arose, ensued, were overcome," jack brushed him off, strolling towards the helm.

bella frowned. not even a "hi, love" or "missed you, bella"?

"you got what you went in for, then?" she asked, following him.

"uh-huh," he waved around a rolled up piece of cloth, but was met face-to-face with a disgruntled looking crew.

"jack, i think the crew –meaning me as well– were expecting something a bit more..." she trailed off, looking to gibbs for help.

". . . shiny," gibbs said. bella nodded. "what with the isla de muerta going all pear-shaped, reclaimed by the sea and the treasure with it."

"and the royal navy chasing us all around the atlantic," another pirate named leech added.

"and the hurricane!" marty said, to everyone's agreement.

"all in all, it seems some time since we did a speck of honest pirating," finished gibbs.

jack leaned towards bella. "shiny?" he repeated.

"shiny," she nodded.

he turned back to the rest of the crew. "is that how you're all feeling, then? that perhaps dear ol' jack is not serving your best interests as captain?"

"walk the plank!!" squawked cotton's parrot. cotton put a hand over its beak.

jack immediately cocked his pistol and aimed it at the parrot. "what did the bird say?!"

bella put her hand on jack's raised arm and gently lowered it.

"do not blame the bird. show us what is on that piece of cloth there," leech said.

everyone looked pointedly at the roll of cloth in jack's hand. suddenly, barbossa's undead monkey dropped down in front of jack and snatched the cloth. it managed to run a bit before jack shot it.

"you know that don't do no good," gibbs sighed.

"it does me," jack replied.

marty hurried over to the unrolled cloth and picked it up "it's a key," he observed.

jack rushed over and took it from him. "no, much more better! it is a drawing of a key. he showed it to the crew; everyone stared in silence. "gentlemen, lovely bella, what do keys do?"

"keys... unlock... things?" leech responded, not quite sure.

"and whatever this key unlocks, inside there's something valuable?" bella suggested.

"so, we're setting out to find whatever this key unlocks!" gibbs exclaimed.

"no," jack said plainly. the crew exchanged confused looks. "if we don't have the key, we can't open whatever it is we don't have that it unlocks. so, what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don't have, without first having found the key what unlocks it???"

"so, we're going after this key!" gibbs resolved.

jack narrowed his eyes. "you're not making any sense at all." the crew looked even more perplexed. "any more questions?" jack said.

bella raised her eyebrows. "do we have a heading?" she asked.

"ah! a heading," jack took out his compass. "set sail in a... general... that way direction!"

"jack?" bella said, baffled by his behavior.

"come on, snap to and make sail, you know how this works," jack dismissed, shooing the crew out of his way as he walked to his cabin.

bella sighed. she joined marty and gibbs by the rail.

"have you noticed lately, the captain seem to be acting a bit strange...er...?" marty asked, shrugging.

"setting sail without knowing his own heading," bella muttered. "something's got him worried," she agreed.

"well, mark my words, what bodes ill for jack sparrow bodes ill for us all," gibbs stated.