The Truth I

White opens up to Steven about her checkered past.

Beginning dialogue from Monster reunion.

Fun fact: White is my favorite diamond.

——

The diamonds were hanging out downstairs when Steven ran into the house.

"Guys? Guys?!" Steven cried.

"What's up, little Ste-cup?" Yellow asked.

"We were just about to put away the dishes," Blue stated.

"Look what I can do!!" Steven grabbed a plate from Blue's hand, smashing it on the floor.

Blue gawked at him. "What is the meaning of this?!"

"I don't have healing tears, I have healing spit!!" Steven proclaimed. "I fixed Connie's eyesight!! Here, I'll show you!!" He licked his hand, preparing to 'heal' the plate before Blue grabbed his hand.

"Fine, fine, I believe you. I don't want you touching a broken plate. I'll find a broom." Blue said.

"We need to celebrate this!!" Steven exclaimed. He then gasped. "Let's all have a day out!!"

The diamonds looked at each other, then back at Steven.

"Please elaborate," Yellow said.

"Well, uhh, we can go into town, maybe go to the big donut, or maybe funland!! Oh, we could go swimming together, or we could- Oh right, the galaxy warp is busted."

"Were you about to suggest that we go to homeworld?" White asked, raising a brow.

"I was, then I remembered we can't," Steven sighed. He then gasped. "My healing powers!! I can fix the galaxy warp!!"

The diamonds blanched.

"Uhh, Steven, even if you succeed, we aren't sure if that's a good idea," Blue said.

"I agree with Blue," Yellow said. She then crouched down, putting her hands on Steven's shoulders. "Steven, remember our conversation a couple nights ago? I told you that we haven't had any contact with Homeworld since we were marooned here. We don't know what will happen when we arrive."

"Are you afraid something bad will happen to you?" Steven asked.

"...Not exactly," Yellow said slowly as she stood back up. She then looked at White and Blue.

"It's a complicated situation, Steven," Blue said. "We don't know if you're ready to know."

"I'm ready to know!!" Steven said. "I really am!!"

Blue and Yellow both glanced at White.

"Steven, there's something we need to show you." White said.

===

Steven didn't know what to expect when the light of the warp pad faded away. However, of all the possibilities, he did not expect to see a giant head and 2 arms rusting away in a field in the middle of nowhere.

"What are these things?!" Steven asked, jumping off the warp pad.

"Our ships," White said.

"WOAH!! REALLY?!" Steven gasped. "THEY'RE SO HUGE!!"

"Remember, we are in shrunken forms right now. These are fit for much larger beings," White said.

"So I'm guessing the white ship is yours, the yellow one is Yellow's and the blue one is Blue's?" Steven asked.

"Yes," Blue said. "This is how we came to Earth 13 years ago. Unfortunately, the ships are completely destroyed."

"How did they get destroyed?" Steven asked.

"Your mother destroyed them, Steven," Blue said.

Steven's eyes widened. "W-what?"

"Lets just say we got into a bit of a fight here," Yellow said. "Your mother used a weapon on us that took away all of our diamond powers, or at least locked them inside our gems. I'm still perplexed at how you managed to pull out Blue's aura, though..."

"But why would she take away your powers? Why was she so mad at you?" Steven asked.

White looked into the distance.

"...White, what did you do?" Steven walked up to her.

"...Do you remember the painting in Yellow's room?" White asked. "Of your mother and the crystal gems?"

"Yea, I do," Steven said.

"There's a reason the crystal gems aren't around anymore." White took a deep breath.

Steven looked at her. "What did you do, White?"

"I shattered them." She said simply, her voice full of remorse. She fell to her knees. "I shattered Pink's closet friends."

Yellow and Blue were frozen. They didn't think White would actually tell him.

Steven's eyes widened. "W-why would you do that?!"

"I was blind with rage, Steven," White said. "We all were. All we wanted was your mother to come home..." She sniffed. "But we only drove her further away."

Steven sat down next to her.

A tear fell down her cheek. "I've done so many awful things. Shattering the crystal gems is just scratching the surface. I've hurt so many people. Your mother had to strip me, Yellow, and Blue of our powers to get us to listen to her, and by the time we realized we were wrong, it was too late. She was days away from giving birth to you."

She sighed. "She never forgave us, Steven. She had the right to, though. All three of us treated her terribly. She told us the only way for us to amend what we've done is to make sure your life would be better than hers. To love you, to care for you, and most importantly, treat you like your own person."

Steven was at a loss for words. He looked up to see that Yellow and Blue were both visibly upset.

"I think you've done a pretty good job," Steven said.

White looked at him with teary eyes.

"You've changed, and that's what she wanted, right?" Steven smiled. "You're all much better. Whatever other awful things you've done, the fact that you regret them means you've changed, and that's good. You don't have to tell me what other things you've done yet, but I would like to know eventually."

"We promise we will, Steven," White said. "You deserve to know what we've done, but right now, I just... I need a moment." She looked at the ground.

Steven looked back at Yellow and Blue.

"White's not the only one who's done awful things," Yellow said. "We're to blame too."

"But you regret what you did," Steven said. "Whatever you did, you regret it. That's what matters. You're making an effort to fix it."

Yellow and Blue smiled a little.

"Your ability to forgive astounds me, Steven," Blue said. "But I think White wants to be alone for a bit."

Steven looked at White, who had her hands buried in her face. He then looked back at Yellow and Blue. "Alright."

The three of them stepped on the warp pad, warping away, leaving White alone.