Nerds being Nerds

I'm sorry, I need this.

Peridot and Yellow prove to have more in common than they first thought.

BIG REVEAL!! READ TILL END!!

——

"Log date 7-11-2. It's the third rotation of the Earth since commencements of a collaborative approach to stopping the cluster. The Diamonds are... quite interesting," Peridot said.

"I've finished drawing out the blueprints for the drill head. Peridot, if you could come take a look at this." Yellow requested.

"Coming, my Diamond!!" Peridot ran over. "Y'know, I've probably said this already but... it's truly an honor to be working alongside you." She blushed a little.

"Hm," Yellow looked at Peridot. "You're quite interesting, that is for sure." She looked back at the chalkboard. "Now tell me, how does this look?"

"Why don't I just get an Injectors drill head from the Kindergarten?" Peridot suggested.

"Hm... that might actually work," Yellow said.

"She's not going to the Kindergarten without a chaperone!" White said.

"WHAT?! You've got to be joking!" Peridot said.

"You'll know when I'm joking." White said. "Steven, Yellow, attend Peridot at the Kindergarten. Me and Blue will work on assembling the drill."

===

"Log date 7-11-2. My Diamond and the Steven have volunteered to help me dismantle this Era 1 drill. How stylistically displeasing. The newer ones have a nicer finish." Peridot said.

"Agreed," Yellow said. "But it's what we've got. The drill head from this injector should be sufficient for our needs."

"The two of you are such huge nerds," Steven joked. Yellow rolled her eyes in response.

"What is... 'nerd'?" Peridot asked.

"...Never mind," Steven said.

===

"Would you look at that?" Blue looked at the drill head. "This is wonderful!! Thank you, guys!!"

"You're welcome, my Diamond!!" Peridot smiled with glee.

Blue walked over to Yellow, who was standing at the chalkboard.

"The Peridot is quite charming," Yellow said.

"I can see the appeal. You both are huge nerds," Blue joked.

"Steven said the same thing," Yellow said.

Blue chuckled. "That's because it's true. Now are you gonna help us build this thing or not?"

Yellow smiled, walking with Blue to the others.

===

Hours passed, and it was night time. Peridot was working on the drill alone. "This little thing..." She grunted loudly.

Steven then walked past. "How's it going, Peridot?"

"Fine... ! There's nothing wrong, everything's fine!" She then accidentally pressed one of the buttons. "Ah! No, no, no, no, NO, STOP!"

The drill started spinning, causing Peridot to fall off it. She coughed. "The panel..!"

Steven then jumped onto the drill, trying to take control of it.

"Wait!" Peridot panicked.

"It's ok, I got it!" Steven insisted. "AHH!!"

"What's going on out here?!" Yellow ran outside. "WHAT THE?!"

"MY DIAMOND!!" Peridot ran over, pushing Yellow out of the way just before the drill could've run her over. Steven then managed to rip out the control panel, making it stop.

"It's okay, everything's okay! It was just a drill!" Steven said before collapsing against the side of the drill.

"Uh... Peridot?" Yellow asked.

"AH!" Peridot panicked, jumping off Yellow. "It was an accident, I swear! I didn't mean to start the drill, my Diamond!! I'm so sorry!!"

"Hey hey hey, it's ok!!" Yellow insisted. "We know you didn't mean to start the drill. It's alright."

"Y-you're not mad?" Peridot looked at her.

"You saved me from the drill, Peridot. That more than makes up for... well, destroying it," Yellow said.

"We leave for one second and everything goes off the rails!" Blue's horrified voice screamed.

Yellow sighed. "We're ok, Blue!"

===

"Log date, 7-11-2. I... I don't know what to say," Peridot sighed, stopping the recording. She leaned against the walls of the barn.

"Hey."

Peridot looked up to see Yellow. Panicking, she immediately saluted. "My diamond!!"

"Put your arms down, no need for that," Yellow said. Peridot immediately stopped saluting.

"You did good today, Peridot," Yellow said, smiling. "And don't worry about the drill. We can rebuild it."

"Thank you," Peridot smiled before taking a deep breath. "There's something i've been meaning to tell you."

"Hm?" Yellow looked at her.

"The new authority," Peridot said, immediately catching the ear of the nearby Blue and White. "They... they knew you were still alive."

"What?!" Yellow looked at her, aghast.

"Knowing you had no way to get off Earth, they took advantage of this," Peridot said. "They told all of Homeworld you had been shattered in order to gain power. The three of them... they're ruthless. Even more than you ever were!! They've convinced almost all of Homeworld that you were horrible, horrible gems that didn't deserve to be grieved."

"We... we were horrible gems," White said. Yellow and Peridot turned to look at her.

"But what gems could convince all of Homeworld to believe we were dead?" White wondered.

"...Pyrope, Demantoid, and Hessonite."