The Return

A mysterious hand appears in the sky.

——

"We're fucked," Yellow said, staring at the hand in the sky.

"Guys!" Steven ran over with Connie and Greg. "Did you see that thing in the sky?"

"It's a ship, Steven," Blue said.

"I wanna see!!" Steven looked into the telescope, seeing the hand. "Woah. Who do you think is in there?"

"We don't know," Yellow said. "We're powerless against it. We can't fight. Whatever they want, they'll have to come to us face to face."

The ship was approaching rapidly.

"It's huge," Greg stared at it. "You guys built that thing?!"

"Well, our gems did," White said. "It's a top of the line warship."

"Why is it shaped like a hand?" Steven asked.

"You'd be surprised at how efficient the shape is," White said. "What I don't understand is why they chose to come in that ship."

"Intimidation?" Connie suggested.

"Hm, maybe," White considered. "But it could be here for more malicious reasons."

"I better make a call. Time for some... political favors," Steven said, calling Mayor Dewey.

"Hello?" Mayor Dewey asked.

"Mayor Dewey! It's me, Steven Universe!" Steven said.

"Universe, what's this thing in the sky? As a politician, pointing fingers make me very nervous." Mayor Dewey said.

"Mayor Dewey, the whole town's in danger. We have to evacuate the city." Steven said.

"Evacuate? Hmm. Evacuate. Could be tough. I'll need a catchy slogan..."

===

As Mayor Dewey's truck chanted "E-VA-CU-ATE," he stood on top of the truck, making a speech.

Connie had went back with her parents, while Greg was packing the van.

"Hey! That's a great idea, Dad. You should leave with the rest of the-" Steven then noticed something. "Is that my luggage?"

"Uhh.." Greg and Blue looked at each other.

"Who wants to tell him?" Greg asked.

"Steven," White put her hands on Steven's shoulders. "I know you don't think we trust you. I know more often than not we treat you like a human child. But the truth is, we rely on you. Your voice inspires us, binds us, reminds us why we promised to protect the planet. You must now be that voice, for them."

"But... But I wanna help!!" Steven looked at White.

"We know you do. While we don't know if this ship is truly a threat or not, if it is, it could annihilate the city," White explained. "If anything happens, you need to be there to protect them. Like your mother once did... from us. It's your destiny."

"I won't disappoint you!" Steven said.

"I know," White smiled.

===

Steven and Greg were in the van, driving out of the town.

"Dad, you were telling me about the Diamonds earlier," Steven said. "I know the Diamonds weren't exactly the best people in the past, but... why?"

"Why what?" Greg asked.

"Why did they suddenly just start to care about Earth?" Steven asked.

"Because... because of you," Greg said. "You helped show the Diamonds that this planet isn't as horrible as they thought, and they grew to not only like it, but mutually decided to continue your mother's legacy of protecting it."