Chapter 5: Toccata

Toccata - an instrumental work made to display the prowess and proficiency of a musical performer.

It was just a mere 2 days since the night of the recital, and Y/N still can't forget what Minju did before she went home. That feeling still lingers in him, and now he started questioning his feelings for her, and the rest of the girls who already made an impression to him this past month.

("All right, Y/N, just stay calm. She simply gave you a kiss as her way of giving thanks. There's no other meaning to what happened other than that, but then again, for me, it felt like something else. Then there's Chaewon and Yena. My mind is still pretty confused right now. Why am I having a feeling that I'm going to make a very hard decision later on?") He said to himself as he walks toward the building where the rehearsal rooms are.

Y/N figured that a good practice all by himself would help him calm down. He reserved one practice room for him to use today, and he plans to make the most of it while taking advantage of the fact that the choir doesn't need him to participate for a while.

As he makes his way near the room he booked, he heard someone playing a violin so masterfully. He wondered if Eunbi was the one who was playing it, and he assumed that she lost track of time through her concentration on playing the piece.

"Only Eunbi-noona is capable of playing Wieniawski's Pollonaise Brillante so perfectly. It's a difficult piece that requires precise reflexes and sense of rhythm. There's no way anyone in this school is as good as her, at least that's what I think."

When he opened the door to excuse himself, he was proven wrong.

It was a third year, but it was not his older sister. She was about to finish the piece when Y/N went inside, despite his efforts not to disturb her.

"I'm really sorry to have interrupted you, sunbaenim, but I reserved this practice room for myself this afternoon."

The girl gave him a gentle smile and said:

"It's okay. I should be the one apologizing to you for taking your reservation here so abruptly. I should be going then."

She started packing up her violin and music sheets, as Y/N puts his things on the shelf, taking just his own music book and papers as he prepares to sit on the piano.

Just then, instead of leaving, the girl instead sat on one of chairs beside him.

"I hope you don't mind, but can I watch you play just one musical piece? I'm just curious as to how much skill you have on the piano." She said calmly.

"Of course, sunbaenim. I'm going to play one of my favourite pieces." Y/N as he readies himself.

He then played Beethoven's Fur Elise, one of his favourite musical works and the first one he perfected back when he started learning the piano. Throughout his rehearsal, the girl first observed him, from his reflexes, precision level, and overall skill. Then she closed her eyes, as she concentrates on reading Y/N's emotions if it matches the notes on each part. Satisfied, she watched the rest of his performance to its end.

"So how was it, sunbaenim? Did I do all right?"

"You did better than I expected. There were some parts that can still be improved, but on a technical note, your talent is truly worthy of recognition. With a skill level like that, you are truly a talented pianist, Y/N-ssi, as expected of Eunbi's younger brother."

"Ahaha, I guess I really made myself known since I performed with noona a month ago. But thank you, for your compliments all the same, Ms.?"

"Ah, I'm sorry Y/N-ssi, I should have introduced myself sooner. My name is Miyawaki Sakura, a third year studying the violin and writing compositions. It's a pleasure to meet you." Sakura said as he lightly bowed to her.