Sakura Part IV: Tempo Rubato

Tempo Rubato - a musical term that means "robbed time"

It was supposed to be a celebration for the academy, as Y/N and Sakura's performance at the concours brought its fame to new heights. People who witnessed them perform at the event were all nothing but praises for the duo, as they believe that a bright future awaited them.

But what happened afterwards seemed to conclude a different outcome specifically for Sakura herself, whose illness started to get the better of her.

Academy Rooftops, 2 days after the concours

Y/N was sitting alone at the rooftops during lunchtime, as he looked lost and hopeless after the revelations he discovered regarding Sakura's condition. He felt that just when things started getting better for the two of them, everything seems to spiral down towards something he is too afraid to face at the moment.

"If only everything I've heard on that night is false, noona. Why must you suffer like this, when you have such a bright future waiting for you?" He said as he can barely stop himself from bawling.

Flashback, Seoul National University Hospital

Sakura was brought immediately to the emergency room as Y/N, Eunbi, Chaeyeon and Nako looked on in worry. Chaeyeon soon called her mother to inform her of what happened, as the others were still in shock after what had happened.

After a few hours, Sakura's condition has stabilized thanks to her timely arrival at the hospital, and she was brought to a private room in order for her to recover. Her mother arrived soon after, and was glad to see that her daughter's in a stable condition, but was still asleep. The others gave her some space with her daughter, as they went outside hoping to discuss what had transpired.

"Y/N, and you too Eunbi-noona, I think Nako and I owe you both an apology." Chaeyeon said as the two siblings look at her.

"Why, Chaeyeon? Have you known about this for a while?" Y/N asked.

"No, we didn't oppa. I can tell you that we discovered her illness out of pure coincidence, since we were there with her when it happened." Nako replied.

"I think we all need some answers, and Sakura's mother is the only one who can give us the whole truth." Eunbi said as all of them agreed.

Just then, Sakura's mom went outside to see them, as she was happy that they were able to come to her daughter's aid in time.

"I really must thank you, all of you. If not for your help, my daughter's condition would have been worse than it is now." She said as all of them bowed.

"Of course, Mrs. Miyawaki. It was the least we could do for her. But if you don't mind, we all would like to know about Sakura's illness, if it's all right with you." Eunbi respectfully asked, as she was still recovering from her crying earlier.

"I suppose it is only fair that all of you should know the truth. To be fair to my daughter, the real reason why she kept it a secret is that because she doesn't want to make her friends worry about her, especially you, Eunbi. You're her very first friend, and seeing you here in front of me meant that you two already made up, right?" She asked, as Eunbi cannot hold back her tears when she heard it.

"My daughter, she was born with a weak heart, preventing her from doing most things that normal kids would be able to do. At the time she was born, the doctor already warned us that this condition would worsen as she reaches her teenage years, and as you can see, her body cannot hold on for long. "