Goodness

I once gave up on the idea of personal goodness influencing the world. Recent reflections have given me different perspectives though.

I remember some 7 or so years ago, a girl (I may call her lady now) had looked me in the eye, held my hand in hers, both her hands covering my right hand, and with the most patient and understanding voice said, "One day, you'll understand what love is." I remember her rubbing my hand, as though a sign of her warmth.

I can't say I fully understand. No. I don't. I can never understand the love a mother has for her child - I don't have a womb. I don't yet understand the love of the biblical Jonathan for David - willing to be speared twice for the love of friendship (japa is what I might have done after the first shot). There are levels of love I may never know nor understand, but each day, I experience the multiplier effect.

For I remember her, and I make a choice. A choice to love. One good deed done to one sets one on the path of goodness and that goodness is reciprocated to another.

The effect may never be noticed by the sower, but it ripples nevertheless.

It's often proverbed of the flaps of the butterfly in the southern pole causing a tornado in the northern pole.

I'm a product of many goodnesses. I'm not there yet, but I daily learn that love is a debt I owe everyone I come across. It's learning. Sometimes I make my mistakes and fumble along the way, but each time, I'm reminded to get back up and try again.

Love wins, in the end.