m o m o : l i s a

*edit 6/3*

Momo is a better dancer than Lisa. Doesn't mean Lisa sucks, both are very talented in this area, but Momo is more versatile and I love it when dancers can explore other styles and kill it.

I honestly think a lot of ppl think Lisa's the best bc she's apart of the most popular girl group internationally. An overhyped, popular girl group.

And just to show I'm not being biased and also wanting to see a genuine, outside opinion, I showed my friends different videos of Momo and Lisa. And I did it fair and square. I wasn't a dick and only showed videos of momo that were better than Lisa's, or videos of Lisa that were better than momo's like some ppl on YouTube.

*cough cough*

Anyways, I asked four friends all together. Two are dancers, two are not. None of them are into kpop. Which kinda sucks cause I don't have a lot of ppl to talk to about it hahaha... :(

Back to the subject. I showed them fancams that had the most views, and that were considered the best by the fans. After those, I showed them their solo videos. Finally I showed them regular dance practices.

Starting off with my non dancer friends, they said they liked both of them, but they both like a different girl the most. Friend A thought Momo was more "charismatic and into the dance" (her words not mine) while Friend B liked Lisa's style of dance bc it "was more urban and her style".

Now my dancer friends had very different opinions.

Both agreed that Momo was more experienced and versatile.

Friend C: "She was very smooth and obviously has been doing this for years. She has the energy, the expressions, the musicality and the texture when she dances. And she's very versatile. Not only did she do hip hop, she also did contemporary, jazz and wacking. She also has a leg up when it comes to fluidity and flexibility. She's never stiff and moves easily when she dances."

Friend D: "Yeah, she's definitely an amazing dancer. You can tell she really feels the music and listens to it. Tbh she seemed to be more into the dance than the other girls in the group. Like she put more effort into it. Ngl the other girls seemed bored, but idk. We're here for Momo. She's light on her feet and you know that when a dancer is light on their feet, they're great dancers. So yeah, I think Momo's got this one."

Their thoughts on Lisa:

C: "She's a great dancer. She has the musicality, the energy, and the expressions as well. It makes sense why she would be a lot of ppls favorite dancer. However, she doesn't have a lot of the same techniques as momo. Her energy is there, and her expressions are always on point, yes, but sometimes she looks a little stiff. And when she shows some elements of different genres of dance, you can still see her struggle a bit. No doubt she's more comfortable with urban hip hop. That's why she's so good at it. I'd say she can learn other genres, but is she as versatile as Momo? No."

D: "I agree. She's good. There's no need to talk about that. It's obvious she's a fantastic dancer. But is she as experienced and versatile as Momo? I wouldn't say so. Let's say they both had a résumé. And on those resumes, each girl had to make a list of what they can do and what they specialize in. I think Momo would have a much longer list than Lisa. Or at least that's how I look at it. As dancer, I think I'd rather learn a lesson from Momo than from Lisa."

My friend D is quite blunt.

In the end the both agreed that Momo was the better dancer.

Now this is in no way discrediting Lisa as a dancer. Like I said, she's fantastic at what she does. She wouldn't be in Blackpink if she wasn't. But, I just got fed up with blinks putting Momo down and saying she's nowhere near as good of a dancer as Lisa. And y'all always say "don't compare", but then y'all do it anyways, so I'm just following along. They're both good, but Momo has a bit more experience. No discrediting either of them.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk 🍑