mirio togata x male!reader: 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘴𝘰𝘰𝘯

(a/n): requested by Slowkiv ! please enjoy :)

season 4 overhaul arc spoilers!!!

________third person pov________

[Y/N] chewed his nails while sitting in the hospital waiting room. It was an old habit of his that only surfaced when he felt scared. What was it that he was scared of? Other than the obvious worry he felt settle in his stomach like a brick. It was only a mere 5 hours since the incident. He certainly wished he was there. He might not have been able to do much help then, but he wanted to have been present for the person he cared for most; even loved. Maybe then he could have stopped the unprecedented from happening, or at least take the blow on himself. Mirio didn't deserve to be quirkless.

[Y/N] stood from his spot in the rather uncomfortable chair to prevent himself from drowning further into his troublesome thoughts and walked to the front desk. Before he could reach the counter to ask the receptionist again if Mirio's room was open for visitors, a doctor emerged from the door and looked to [Y/N].

"You can see him now," he stated, "but only for a few minutes. We still need to run tests to see-" [Y/N] pushed past the doctor before he could finish.

408. 408. 408. He repeated the numbers in his head as he scoured the hallway for Mirio's room. When he reached it, he noticed the door was opened a crack. [Y/N] peaked through the slivered opening. Mirio sat on his bed, a plate of food untouched on a tray table nearby. He was staring out the window on the other side of the room.

With a light push of the door, [Y/N] entered the room. "Mirio," he breathed, not knowing what else to say. It broke his heart to see his long-time crush in a hospital bed with pain and anguish resting on his usually cheery face.

When Mirio turned his head to see his visitor, a familiar grin graced the blonde's features. "[Y/N], I didn't know you were coming to visit. Come sit," he motioned to the plain-looking chair that sat right below the window. [Y/N] treaded over to the spot while evaluating Mirio's injuries. Scratches and bruises tainted his fair skin; his hair was matted down with dried sweat.

Mirio felt slightly self-conscious since he looked so ragged and beaten up. He didn't want [Y/N] to see him like that. But he also felt comfort in the concern he sensed coming from him.

[Y/N] pushed the chair closer to the side of Mirio's bed. The two boys sat in stiff silence for a bit, until Mirio sighed.

"They don't know how they can medically get my quirk back," he explained.

[Y/N] nodded, not knowing exactly how to respond. He mulled over what he could say to make him feel better for a minute, deciding on saying something from the heart. "The selflessness you put into protecting the life you saved without even using your quirk proves you're already one of the best heroes," he encouraged. "At lease I think so." [Y/N]'s cheeks warmed up as he stared at his feet. Mirio's chest tightened. He gazed at him while his eyes were cast downward.

When their eyes finally met, Mirio smiled softly, almost reassuring [Y/N]. "Thanks for thinking so. I think it'll all work out." His typical perky demeanor was finally starting to shine through.

[Y/N] thought of how Mirio was not only physically strong, but he also had great control over his emotions. He didn't even want to imagine being in Mirio's shoes at that moment, assuming the hopeless feeling would be almost too much to bear. He wished he could rid him of all his burdens, but reality was a heartless monster. Did Mirio even know just how much [Y/N] would do for him? And he didn't even know if Mirio felt the same.

[Y/N]'s eyes stung with tears as his fists clenched. Mirio was his everything, ever since their first day at UA together. When no one else was there, he was, without fault. It was [Y/N]'s turn to be there for him in his time of need. He was angry at himself that he was the one being the emotional wreck when he should've been acting as Mirio's rock.

"I'm so sorry," [Y/N] whimpered. "I can't even imagine how you feel."

Mirio stayed quiet, looking down and his hands.

"When I heard what happened and that you were here at the hospital, I was so shocked that I," he paused, sniffling, "—I didn't even know what to do. All I could think about was getting here to see you."

A pair of blue eyes shot up at [Y/N], with tears of their own threatening to spill over. Mirio opened his mouth as if he was about to say something, but closed his eyes and let out a breath. Before [Y/N] could process anything through his tearful haze, a pair of arms wrapped around his neck. With wide eyes, he slowly returned the gesture, circling his arms around Mirio's torso.

"I just feel lost right now," Mirio mumbled into his shoulder. They stayed intertwined for a few moments more, until Mirio began to part from the embrace. [Y/N] noticed how close the gap between their faces were. Blood rushed to his cheeks. They both looked into each other's eyes for what felt like lifetimes, until [Y/N] leaned in without even thinking and planted a peck on Mirio's lips. It wasn't until after he pulled away that he realized fully what he had done, and covered his mouth in surprise.

"Oh, my God, I didn't mean t-"

Lips crashed against the sentence he had yet to finish. [Y/N] melted into the kiss, a hand cupping Mirio's cheek.

"Maybe I should be sent to the hospital more often?" Mirio joked, sitting straight up with his goofy grin planted on his face.

[Y/N] chuckled. "Too soon."

_________________________