shinso hitoshi x deaf!reader: 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳 𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦

(a/n): so there's a headcannon floating around that shinso is fluent in asl ?? yea i'm on board, enjoy this as a result :^)

______third person pov_____

"Hi, welcome to [restaraunt]! I'm Hailee, and I'll be serving you today. What drinks would you two like to start with?" The young waitress placed a menu in front of [Y/N] and Shinso, seated in a tucked away booth at a fancy restaurant for their anniversary. [Y/N] focused on the waitress's lips, registering what she had said, and then looked expectantly at her boyfriend of 18 months across from her. He gave a knowing look and [Y/N] watched him reply.

"She's gonna have a [favorite drink] and I'll have a water," he answered. The waitress nodded as she scribbled on her notepad and turned on her heel to dash into the kitchen.

"How long do you think it'll take for her to notice?" [Y/N] asked after she was out of sight.

Shinso smirked. "Too long," he signed back, earning a giggle from [Y/N].

At first, [Y/N] was apprehensive and self-conscious about her inability to hear, which tragically came about after a fatal car accident that happened when she was younger. After time, however, and meeting Shinso, she realized that life without sound has just as much meaning. He had been her safe place through the moments when she just needed someone to talk to who would empathize and understand her.

The pity-ridden looks on the occasional cashier or receptionist no longer bothered [Y/N] nearly as much as it did before, though; she chose to, instead, in her particular sense of humor, find it as a game of sorts. It was especially fun to play with Shinso, who enjoyed being the mediator between the hard of hearing and the flustered people who profusely apologize when recognizing the language barrier.

A tap on the table caught [Y/N]'s attention away from the menu and she met eyes with Shinso. "What are you going to get?" He gestured towards the menu.

"I don't know yet. There's too many good options!" [Y/N] responded, returning her attention to the options of entrées printed in swirly font. She settled on [insert fancy food here], and the couple patiently waited for their orders to be taken, chatting about their day to pass the time.

The waitress hurried to their table with drinks in hand, setting them down in front of the two. "Are you ready to order?" she asked.

"Yes," Shinso replied, eyeing [Y/N] to confirm. She nodded, and upon making eye contact with the waitress, pointed at the menu to the food she wanted.

"What side would you like with that?" the waitress inquired. [Y/N] didn't see her say the first part of the sentence, so she looked over to Shinso for assistance. He signed the question back to her, and [Y/N] flipped to the back of the menu and pointed at a side. She watched the waitress as she begin to realize the situation.

"I'm so sorry! Would you like something to write on?" she frantically apologized, reaching for a piece of paper from her notepad to tear out. [Y/N] waved her off, implying that she didn't need it, then gave her a thumbs up to reassure and thank her.

"She can read lips, don't worry about it," Shinso stated, and the waitress began to relax. She left the table again to return to the kitchen, and [Y/N] smiled at Shinso.

"I'm especially good at reading your lips," she motioned with a wink.

Shinso sarcastically gasped and responded, "[Y/N], we're in public!" They chuckled, then he remarked, "If you weren't such a space case, we could have made the prestige more fun."

[Y/N] rolled her eyes with a grin. "Whatever," she gestured back, sticking her tongue out playfully.

______________________