Chapter 23

Ellie was back

Ellie was back. We were sitting in her apartment, having breakfast after Liam and Aiden went to the gym.

"You didn't answer my texts! I sent you the makeup photo and no reaction. Some friend you are," said Ellie.

"I know, babe." I pouted. "I'm sorry. It's just that these two weeks have been crazy. You looked hot, by the way. What was the occasion?"

"Our first anniversary. We went out to dinner and dancing, and it was...God, everything was amazing. I won't ever forget this vacation."

"I bet you won't. You're glowing. I'm sorry we barged in like that today. Liam was crazy to go to that basketball thing."

The truth was, Liam seemed eager to do whatever if it meant not being around me.

"That's okay. Look, I was planning to show you some photos and tell you everything about the trip later, but first, tell me what I missed. You and Liam in the same bed? Seriously?"

"How do you...of course, that photo." I groaned. "It was nothing."

The night of Liam's confession, he had a brilliant idea of sending a picture of his face to Aiden. He didn't know Ellie well enough. Of course, she recognized my comforter. If I told her why we were in the same bed, I would have to tell all of it, which made me decide against it.

"Right." Ellie smiled into her coffee cup.

"Really, nothing happened. Tim's friend Antoine stayed over because his parents had nobody who could babysit him, and Liam gave the kid his bed so that he wouldn't sleep on the couch," I lied. Admitting that we were home alone would raise questions, and I didn't have answers for Ellie. Were we together? No. Were we in love? No. Did Liam really mean what he said? No.

"I'm disappointed." Ellie sighed. "Here I was getting my hopes up."

"Well, don't." I shrugged. "Liam went on a date with a girl, so..."

Ellie's expression turned crestfallen. "Crap. How do you know that?"

I twirled the styrofoam cup in my hands. "She's one of the gym regulars. I was there when she asked him out. He said yes, and they went out. End of story."

"So, are they dating now?" asked my best friend.

"Don't know, don't care. I'm sure they had sex. That girl's super confident, she could have ten guys like Liam. And she's really sexy."

For all I knew, she would be at the gym today, trying to seduce Liam again and succeeding. Just like my ex, Liam had his needs, and just like Paul, he would choose a confident someone over me.

"I'm sorry." Ellie rubbed my arm.

"Don't be. I'm okay. You know, we're getting along really well now. I don't want to spoil it. I really like being Liam's friend. Besides, I have no right to be jealous."