Chapter 45

I spent Friday night awake, calling Liam on repeat and listening to the songs on my playlist he had on his iPod while the tears soaked my cheeks

One could tell many things through music, and although he never said anything to me, those songs did.

I knew I meant something to him, but knowing it didn't mean that it hurt any less.

Now, I was convinced that he saw me in the restaurant. Aiden was there, and the fact that he walked out of the restaurant hastily meant he wasn't alone. Paul's words about perfect timing also made sense. Of course, the bastard rejoiced in the fact that Liam saw us together. I couldn't understand why Paul wouldn't leave me alone. Him being in the same place was also unsettling.

Then, there were bruises - the ones I hid behind a thick layer of foundation and concealer.

I didn't call Liam today. It was Saturday, and after crying my heart out at Ellie's and littering her couch with crumpled tissues, I agreed to go out with her and Lucy, Ellie's classmate.

This time, the club was great, and I had fun dancing and talking to the girls. I admitted that Liam and I kissed, feeling relieved that Ellie didn't get mad at me for keeping things from her. She would be if she knew just how many times I lied.

The city lights flashed in the windows of the cab. Ellie and I were on our way home. She was the one who told me Aiden and Liam went out with their colleagues. A text from Liam saying that we needed to talk was the only thing I'd gotten from him since yesterday.

The taxi stopped in front of our building. We paid the driver and got out of it.

"I'm tired." Ellie yawned, covering her mouth with her palm. "But I'm happy we went out. I needed that."

"Are you feeling better?" I asked my friend, who also had a reason to be sad - her mom wouldn't be able to visit, and Ellie had to go home in barely two weeks, leaving Aiden in Paris until Christmas.

"A bit." Ellie sighed. "Aiden will be so hurt, Sky. He doesn't like that we're keeping our relationship secret still."

"I kinda get him."

Ellie frowned. "Me too. I just didn't expect my mom would get the ticket for me without asking me first. If she were here, it would be much easier to talk to her and come clean."

"Aiden will understand." I rubbed Ellie's back and hugged her to me in the elevator. "He loves you."

Ellie pecked my cheek. "And I love him. And you, although you kept that kiss from me."

Sighing, I whispered, "I just don't know where we stand, Ellie. It's all really complicated. We're both too broken."

The elevator stopped on my floor. Ellie pressed the button to keep the doors from closing and shrugged, winking at me. "Maybe two broken make one whole. Perhaps all it takes is a leap of faith for the relationship to work."