Chapter 30

It'd been three days since Sky and I talked

I thought we made up. I was probably wrong, given that she hardly spoke to me and kept on coming home late. I did the right thing — I gave her space, hoping that something would change. Sky thought that I rushed into asking her to be my girlfriend. I might have, but I also had to lay my cards on the table. I was willing to give us and whatever we felt a chance.

Tonight, Tim went to bed early, exhausted after playing soccer all afternoon. I flopped down on my bed and picked up a book, not in the mood for mindless TV-watching.

A shuffling noise outside my room made me put the hardback aside. My suspicions became a reality when I threw the door open and saw Sky standing on the other side of it. 

"Why didn't you come in?" I asked.

Sky bit her lip, shrugging. "I didn't know if the door was locked."

Just like that, I felt like the biggest asshole on Earth for making the already insecure girl doubt that I wanted to spend time with her. Sighing, I took Sky's hand in mine and led her into my bedroom.

She sat on my bed, rubbing her shoulder and wincing as she did so.

"What happened to your shoulder?" I asked, making myself comfortable next to her.

"I fell in the studio."

"Studio?"

Sky chuckled. "Yeah. Dance studio, remember? That's where I've been for the last week. I wasn't avoiding you, at least not on purpose. I started to dance again and went there after my lectures."

The gleam in Sky's eyes made me smile. I didn't usually see her so content.

"So, you've been dancing alone?" 

"They only have a few students, Liam. Every day, Brigitte, the owner of the studio, is alone there with me. She leaves at around eight, and then I have the studio to myself. It's kinda sad. You should have seen the place — all high ceilings and beautiful tall windows. You can see the garden from one of the halls, and the street from the others."

"Why don't they have students?" I asked, placing my hand on Sky's shoulder and starting to rub it.

She squeezed her eyes shut for a second before saying, "The competition. Besides, they could use some money to renovate the interior of the building — money they don't have."

"Does it hurt a lot?"

"What?"

"The shoulder," I said, caressing it.

"It doesn't. Well, I'd better go. I'm kinda tired," Sky mumbled and got up from the bed way too fast.

"Stay." I reached for her wrist and circled it with my fingers. "Or go, but come back later. We hardly talked in days."