Chapter 25: Double Trouble

An apology without change is just manipulation.

Giving yourself one last glance at the mirror, you exited your room. You carefully descended down the stairs and once you reached the dining area, you were greeted by everyone's tired faces. Smiling to yourself, you entered the kitchen to see Kyungsoo stirring something in the cooker.

"Good morning."

He snapped his head to your way and gave a small smile. "Morning."

"Is there anything I can help with?" He replied with a simple nod and pushed the cutting board to you, placing some cabbages and tomatoes on it. You washed your hand before getting to work.

While chopping the veggies, your eyes fell on everyone, mentally counting them. Baekhyun and Chanyeol still weren't down. Baekhyun is probably still sleeping but where is Chanyeol? He usually wakes earlier than everyone.

"Why isn't Chanyeol up yet?" You mumbled to yourself but Kyungsoo managed to hear it. He tilted his head a little, "You don't know? Chanyeol left yesterday night."

"Really? Where to?"

He sighed, "To his house."

You added the chopped vegetables to the soup and inquired, "Is there any specific reason? I mean, he hasn't been himself since yesterday."

"Tomorrow is his parents' death anniversary. When he was just 19, he saw his parents getting murdered by his father's old enemy in front of his eyes. He somehow managed to escape from that place and save himself before they put the house on fire. It affected him deeply and took him years to finally get over the incident and move on, but he still sometimes gets nightmares because of the trauma. On every one of their death anniversary, he spends the day alone at his villa and visits their cemetries." He paused before continuing, "And if you're wondering whether we are worried or not, then yes, we are worried about him but we just let him be on his own on this specific day. He needs his own space, he needs some time alone."

"I-I-I did-didn't know....." You stuttered, not knowing how to react. He just gave you a sad smile, "It's fine. I'm sure you are surprised after knowing this. To be honest, we all have lost someone, someone too close to have end up here."

Your eyes travelled to each of them. It's shocking to know that each and every one of them has lost at least one close person in their life. It's either they hide their feelings too well or you are too numb to understand them.

Behind their bubbly and funny personalities hid a traumatizing past. Everyone lost at least someone. Some lost a friend, some lost a family member, some lost an enemy while some lost a lover. There is no one in this world who didn't lose anyone in their course of life. No matter how the person was, they had to let them go and engrave them in their memories.

You wonder who it will be in your case. Will it be someone close to you? Or someone you haven't met yet?

Suddenly, Baekhyun appeared in the scene with an exhausted face. All exhaustion seemed to vanish into thin air when his eyes fell on you and was replaced by bliss. Your lips tugged a smile and he returned the favour, walking to the counter. He walked to you and Kyungsoo, his eyes not leaving you.

The next thing he did turned your cheeks into a crimson red. He wrapped his arms around your waist to pull you closer and pecked you. He asked, "How was your sleep?"

You wouldn't be so embarassed if you didn't have 7 pair of eyes gawking at the both of you. Junmyeon quickly covered Sehun's eyes and shouted, "Yah! Get a room, will you?! We are still here."

Baekhyun just chuckled and unwrapped his arms. You told him to get back to his seat and he obliged. Your mind again drifted to Chanyeol. Will he be okay by himself? And why didn't he tell you anything? Did you do anything to make him upset?