1- Blood On Coals

(Any of Veronica Roth's ideas that may be included in this story are completely hers and I don't take credit for them.)

I stare into my brother's chocolate brown eyes. The fear plastered on his face gives me anxiety. Today, I either choose to live in Erudite with the rest of my family, or I choose the faction that my aptitude test led to.

"Xedalia, you're gonna stay with us right? You won't leave for another place?" I had not even reached a decision, and my six-year-old brother continually pressed on, questioning me.

"I don't know, Kirone. We'll see later, ok? If I do leave-" My hazel brown eyes water. My breathing speeds a bit. "-I'm scared."

Kirone walks across the blue kitchen floor to the island counter where I stand. He reaches up and caresses my cheeck.

"What I decide today shapes my whole future." I pat his dark, fluffy hair.

He hesitates before he says, "Then choose what makes you happy. Something you want to live with for the rest of all the time...I know it's scary but you gotta be brave." I smile. I should correct Kirone, and tell him to simplify 'all the time' to forever. I should, but I won't pretend I like to do so any longer.

My mom strides into the kitchen, teary-eyed. I have the sense she's been listening.

"He's right." She gives me a sympathetic smile. "Don't feel obligated to choose us. Choose you."
They make it sound so easy.

I look down at my watch. The ceremony starts at 9:00 A.M. and it is 8:35. I sigh.
-----~-----~-----~-----~-----~-----~-----
My family and I walk to the building where my life choice stands before me. We sit with the other blue-clothed people, near the middle of the Erudite section.

8:50 A.M

I remember my 16th birthday, when Dad was alive. We ate cake, and I received 3 books as presents. I never opened one of those single books. I couldn't even remember their titles.
That was four months ago.

"Choose you."

9:00 A.M.

Marcus Eaton, the leader of Abnegation, began speaking.

"Welcome. Today, those with 16 years of age choose the faction of their choice. Let's get started."

Slowly, Marcus begins reading off names. I see more and more people choosing their originated faction. There's the occasional "betrayal" when someone chooses a faction they weren't raised in.

I look at the sections around me. The black-clothed, body pierced, tattooed people are Dauntless, the brave. The section wearing red and yellow are Amity, the kind and peaceful. Gray are the Abnegation, selfless. Black and white are Candor, nothing but the truth. Blue are Erudite, the knowledge-searching freaks, I like to say. I'm currently apart of them, though.

"Xedalia Trammers." Crap. I tremble, and my mom pats my hand and offers me an encouraging smile. I sigh. I'm sorry.

I walk down steps in my blue flats. I eventually get to Marcus and the faction bowls. I only eye two of the bowls. Suddenly, I know for sure that I have to choose the option my aptitude test offered to be happy, to enjoy my purpose in life. That's what my mother wants right? For me to be happy? But can I be so selfish to leave her?

"Choose you."

I grab the knife that Marcus provides me with and slice my hand. My blood doesn't diffuse through water, the Erudite bowl. It sizzled on coals, the Dauntless bowl.