i. Intro

2020

2020

SHE WAS ANGRY at the world. The paper she had in her hand, with letters and words her eyes would skim over and over again until they were bled into her head, was being clutched tightly. The wrinkles and the folds forming were not stopping her as her nostrils continued to flare in stress and anger.

EVICTION NOTICE, it said in bright red letters at the top of the paper. Alice had been holding the paper for nearly five minutes, not even needing to read the small words written under the ones that stood out the most. All she knew was that she had a little over 20 days.

It had come to this. She was going to be kicked out of her own home.

She wasn't as angry at the fact she would lose her house, only at the reasons why it was occurring in the first place. The bills that were nearly impossible to pay that she would stack onto the kitchen counter upside down to push off for later. The car that she would use to travel around Seoul. And lastly, the university she was attending that sucked up almost every ounce of money her family had kept over the 24 years of her life.

She just wished that time could end its motion, that the hands on the clock would stop turning in order for her to just think about what to do. For hell's sake, she was going to be kicked out of her house and she didn't have the slightest of a backup plan.

Well, one plan was to drop out of university and focus on increasing her funds by her job, working more hours. Another plan was to continue studying what she loved to study, which was film and design, and be homeless on the streets begging for money from strangers. She couldn't believe it, but the latter seemed more flattering to her. Giving up her university would be devastating to her, as studying film and design had been her passion since high school. She had always dreamt to someday direct her own movie and be known worldwide for her artistic ability. But she knew what had to be done due to her situation. She hated it but it was what it was.

During her trance of staring at the eviction notice and trying to keep her scrambling thoughts together, she heard her phone loudly vibrate on her kitchen table. She glanced at the clock for about the fifth time that hour and noticed that it was nearly nine o'clock. Why was she getting a call so late? She didn't have any friends, so who was calling her at this hour?

She turned over her phone to see 'JEON JUNGKOOK' ringing her.

Oh, right, she did have a few friends.

She hurriedly accepted the call, eyebrows stitched together in confusion.

"Noona, thank God," she heard on the other end of the line, a sigh of relief coming from the boy's mouth.

"Jungkook? What is it?" Alice asked. She heard many people talking in the background of his line, almost sounding chaotic, which furthered her confusion.

"We just got out of the airplane and, well, we kind of need a ride home because one of the vans got into an accident on the way here, and, um, you're the only one our managers and staff trust to take us home," Jungkook said in a shy tone, yet loud enough due to the noise in the background. Alice's eyebrows shot up upon hearing him.