iii. Impressions

2008

2008

WHEN SHE WAS told by her persuasive father suddenly that she was going to be included in a dinner with one of his coworkers families, Alice couldn't care less. When she was told that his coworker had a son her age, she didn't care about that either. She knew her dad was pushing her to make more friends, because, well, she had none, but she had no interest in getting to know more people. Alice was better off by herself, as that's how it had been since her best friend in elementary school ditched her for a prettier and more popular girl. She was hurt at first but realized that having friends was a pain in the ass, always having to make plans with them and sometimes share your lunch with them at school, which is something she hated doing. Why can't they just bring their own food?

By the time the dinner came, Alice pretty much wanted to go home already. Her father would include her in a conversation randomly in attempt to get even a few words out of her to prove to his coworker's family that Alice wasn't a complete sociopath. She would reply quite harshly, including a bit of sarcasm and sounding more condescending to hint to her father that she didn't want to be there. Her mother would occasionally slap the outside of her thigh nonchalantly after each sentence as a warning.

That was when Jimin first heard her speak at the dinner table. He was shocked by her overwhelming presence, radiating confidence. Every word she spoke slipped off her tongue so naturally in conversation, and Jimin felt so small compared to her. Obviously, he couldn't tell the fact that she didn't want to be there and was intentionally being rude. He only thought she sounded wise because she used big words when being condescending, which became her most definitive characteristic. Alice had been quite smarter than the other 12 year olds, and Jimin could tell.

His father had told him about his coworker's daughter being the same age as him, and Jimin saw it as an opportunity to possibly make a new friend. But after seeing her and hearing her for the first time, he had never been more nervous to try and do that.

Jimin grew quiet for the rest of the dinner, too shy to try and strike up a conversation with Alice. However, when they were walking back to their cars under the night sky of Busan after the dinner, he gathered enough courage to speak to her.

"Hi," is all he said. They had spent the last hour in the same room together and had already half-greeted at the start of it but all he managed to say was that word.

Alice heard him and fakely smiled in response at the ground. She wanted to go walk by her father to get away from this kid but her mother was at his arm and on the other side was Jimin's father.

"I'm Jimin," he shlyly spoke.

"I know, your dad said earlier," she replied, not even bothering to look at him.