xii. Moving Boxes

PACKING WAS DEFINITELY not the easiest thing to do

PACKING WAS DEFINITELY not the easiest thing to do. Alice had to practically gather the entire house into boxes while storing all of her furniture into a storage unit, which she knew would take forever. She decided that this would be a good time to go through all of her things though, and throw away some books and knick-knacks along with donating most of her clothes.

It was also practically impossible for her to do it all alone while going to school and work nearly everyday, so Jimin had offered to help her.

He'd been at Alice's house for nearly ten hours when she first started. He was responsible for asking Alice what wasn't good to throw away and what was, which was practically everything. She sort of wanted to get rid of everything in her house, only keeping the things that mattered to her, like her fathers old photo albums and his business certificates.

Alice was putting a few plates and bowls into the donations box when Jimin was going through her bookcase. Once he reached the shelf with pictures lined up, his eyes landed on a square frame with a picture of him and Alice. It was in high school, when Alice had shorter hair and was almost taller than him. But his face fell when he saw himself, when he had his long black hair and when his chubby cheeks were most prominent.

"I was really fat, huh?" He stroked his index finger along the lines of his face and muttered, but not low enough. Alice raised her head at his sudden comment, and then saw what he was holding in his hand. She gently put down the plate she was holding and stood up to go to Jimin, who was still looking at the picture with a straight face.

"I remember that day, that was our first day of our second year of high school, right?" She looked at him with a smile but it fell when his expression didn't falter a bit and he didn't answer. She swallowed a bit before gently putting her hand on his back. "You weren't fat, Jimin. Everybody looks like that at that age. And plus, your cheeks made all the girls think you were cute," Alice grinned while poking his cheeks, causing a smile to shyly grow on his face.

"What about you? Did you think I was cute?" He chuckled as his eyes crinkled together.

"You wish," she remarked and walked away, causing another laugh to come out of Jimin's mouth. He put it in the box on the ground instead of the trash bag, knowing that Alice would probably want to keep something like that.

Alice sat back down onto the kitchen ground and started to go through the plates again.

Jimin's eyes landed on the next picture frame, picking it up gently. It was a picture of Alice holding her diploma after the high school graduation ceremony, and beside her was her mother. His face softened as he looked at Alice, holding up the diploma proudly, a large smile on her face. He wished that he could've been with her at that time of a milestone. He remembers the shaky voice she had when telling Jimin over the phone that it was okay that he couldn't make it because of his tour. He regretted making her feel that way at all.