xi. Dream

"YOU SHOULD BE going off to do big things, Alice

"YOU SHOULD BE going off to do big things, Alice."

"I'm doing it for us, mom," she said to her mother who was leaning on the kitchen counter, holding a stack of paper in her hands, each being a bill that was overdue for their home. "I have eighty years left of my life, school can wait for two more years."

"I don't want you to suffer for my mistakes," her mother sniffed.

"I'm not suffering. As long as I'm with you, I'll never suffer," Alice gently smiled. "I promise."

"I don't deserve you, sweetheart. At all," her mother brought her hand to her mouth and started to cry. Alice walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her. As much as she was uncomfortable with hugs, comforting her mother was more important.

But suddenly, Alice felt nothing in her arms as she looked down and saw that her mother was gone. Completely vanished from existence in that moment.

Alice's eyes fluttered open to the sound of multiple rings from the doorbell. She was still half awake that her mind could work at half its capacity, so she just turned onto her back, releasing a sigh.

She wasn't surprised she had a dream about her mother again, especially about the night Alice told her she would push school for two years later to work to help her. She barely slept due to her busy schedule of finally selling her car, working at the nursery home, and her mountains of schoolwork. When she did sleep, she would constantly have dreams about when her mother was around. She didn't know why it was happening suddenly, as it had never happened after her mother left in the first place, but she figured it was because of the stress and paranoia she had due to the eviction.

Ding dong!

The sound of another set of doorbell rings completely woke her up. She groaned and pulled her blanket off her legs before picking up her phone, standing up. She widened her eyes a bit when she saw that it was 11 o'clock already. She had work in a few hours and she still had to do her household chores. There had been several dishes laying in her sink, piled up in a mess.

Her eyes widened a bit more and her eyebrows furrowed when she saw the notification for ten missed calls from Jimin on her phone.

She walked through the house toward the door, that was ringing madly.

Who the hell could it be? She thought angrily. One ring would send the goddamn message.

She swung the door open, her eyes squinting a bit at the person in front of her. When she noticed it was Jimin, she let out a frustrated sigh and scratched her tired eyes.

"What are you doing here?" She grumbled.

"Were you just sleeping? Is that why you weren't answering your phone?" His eyebrows raised when he saw her state. Her hair had been a mess, and her face was puffy.