vii. Empty Wallet

A FEW DAYS had passed and it was Tuesday

A FEW DAYS had passed and it was Tuesday. The damn notice had still remained in the drawer in the kitchen because Alice was too scared to see the big red letters again. She didn't want to be reminded of her worries, but she knew she had to deal with it sooner or later. She knew it had to be sooner because she only had about two weeks left to sort her shit together.

Even during class, she would find herself dozing off while thinking about it. Thinking about what her life had become. She had always been so sure of her future, but for the first time ever, she hit a bump in the road, except the bump was so big that coming back down wasn't going to be easy.

After her class, she looked at her notebook filled with only a few notes written. Most of the time the words from the professor had been entering one ear and exiting out the other. She sighed frustratedly and made her way out of the building, seeing that it was already sunset. Despite the sky being such a pretty color, a noticeable tint of purple with pink streaks across the sky, it wasn't enough to brighten her mood.

So, she sat down on the steps going up to the building and set down her bag. She grabbed her pack of cigarettes, slipping one into her mouth, dangling until she lit it with the lighter she got from Nari for Christmas. She inhaled the smoke and closed her eyes, exhaling it out as she held the cigarette between her fingers. She wasn't even sure if she was allowed to smoke there, but she didn't care. She needed it.

She looked at the ground, her view sometimes getting clouded by the smoke she exhaled a few times.

What am I going to do? She thought while closing her eyes. I'm completely helpless. Maybe I'll sell my car. I don't technically need one, I can buy a bike with the money I get from that.

"Are you smoking?"

Alice opened her eyes and quickly looked up when she heard the familiar voice, her eyes landing on a boy standing in front of her, with sunglasses and a hat on. She immediately recognized him and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Jimin?" She stood up in the speed of light. "What are you doing here? People will see you!" she said lowly, almost in a whisper, looking around cautiously. When she looked back at him, she noticed he was looking down at her hands, preferably the one holding the cigarette. She subconsciously hid her hand behind her leg, hoping he wouldn't point it out.

"No, no," Jimin furrowed his eyebrows and reached his hand out to her wrist, grabbing onto it and holding it up in front of their faces. "Since when did you smoke?" he looked at her with a serious expression.

"I wasn't smoking."

"Look into my eyes and say that again," Jimin lowered his sunglasses on the bridge of his nose so that his brown eyes could stare into Alice's. When Alice hesitated, Jimin scoffed and pushed his sunglasses up again. He could always tell when she was lying by doing that.

"I-You didn't answer my question. Are you insane? What are you doing here?" Alice attempted to change the subject.

"I thought we could go eat," Jimin explained while picking up the cigarette from her fingers. He threw it onto the ground hastily and smushing it with his foot, his eyes never leaving hers.