45.

Shane's POV.

"Is that Them Days?", he asked. "Yessir", I answered halfway through rolling my joint. "What do you think of it?", I asked. "I love it. Listening to it the other day made me actually think bro. The lines where he says "I know it hurts your mind that he's not worth your time, it's Okay I'm first in line" that's me I'm him. He talks clearly but another person may misinterpret him", "Like they do you?", I asked.

"Yeah like they do me. Sometimes loving someone who doesn't feel the same way can just make you feel like shit. The other day she said I must text her, I did, guess what she did? She left me on read and at school she passed me like she didn't see me and went to that nigga. I know she's going to come to me crying because of him."

"Are we still talking about the song or Simmy?", I asked because clearly this wasn't about the song. "Simmy bro, I don't think she's into me. Well she pretends to be when she needs someone to comfort her." "Don't you think she wants you to be there for her just as a friend and nothing more than that. You are a really good friend my guy. The best listener at that, I think that's why she comes around when she's down because she knows you'll be there for her."

"Nah, but okay it's fine it's okay it's yoh, it's just yah", he said making me laugh. "I'm not laughing bro, I'm just uhm you know", I said smiling at him. "You'll be good man, hang in there." "This feels like a heartbreak, how do you get over someone?", he asked.

"You know if she comes to your house today you'll be all smiles and shit?", I asked. "I know but I'm trying to get over her." Ginger wasn't the type to shoot his shot, he could never. Well me too but he was way worse. He believed in letting the actions do the talking and if things don't go his way he'll be hurt like he was in a romantic relationship with that person whilst they were just talking.

"Well I get over someone by occupying myself with new things to do. I try by all means not to think about that person and I sometimes pretend that they dead. No contact no nothing, I mean you can't talk to a dead person can you? So I start focusing on me and myself only. I eventually forget about them." "Just like that?", "Yes just like that". "Shanice can I be you bro, like damn!" I laughed then passed him the blunt.

My phone rang and it was my mom.

Mama❤: Shanice where are you?

Shane: Ginger's house, why?

Mama❤: I need you to do some things for me, so come home please.

Shane: Okay I'm on my way.

"Bro I need to go, Moms needs help with some things. I'll see you later, yeah?", "Yeah bro text me when you get there", he said and I looked at him. "I live two houses away from here you know", "I know it's not safe out here" he said shrugging. "You so sweet, love you bro", "I love you too." "Kiss Patty for me", "Eww but will do", he said laughing.

I ran home and got there less than a minute. I quickly sent Ginger a text.

"Yeah so what you need?", "I need some things from the store, here's the list", she said giving me a paper. "All these?", "You have a problem?", she asked. "Nah, I'm just trying to understand how these are "some things" when these are clearly a whole month grocery", I said. "I'll smack you in the face. Your dad will give you the money", "Alright."

"Yow Pops!", "Storeroom", he shouted back. "Mom's said you must give me money for these", I said showing him the list. He gave me a stack. "Damn", I muttered. "We still on for Saturday?", he asked. "Yessir." "How's school going? Ginger Okay?", "School is good and I got new customers. Ginger is good too, I was with him earlier."

"Please be careful, these new customers might not know how to shut up. That's why I always say you must..", "Deal with people I trust, yeah I get it pops." "Hurry up and go so you'll be back by supper", he said and we did our handshake.

"Are we better off believing,
What the ignorance suggests?
I wish living life was easy,
But mine has been a mess.
They say it comes with the seasons,
But the seasons come and go.
I go blurry when I'm thinking,
Is it me or vertigo?"

I sang Vertigo by Khalid while walking to the store. I got there and did what I needed to do. Now, walking back home I saw a couple of cop cars. Maybe a 'couple' was an understatement, there were many of them. I smirked thinking it's about to be a movie wherever the cars were going. As I walked towards my house, the same police cars I saw earlier were parked there.

"Damn", I said to myself. I remembered my dad packaging some drugs for drops today. I silently prayed that he was already gone. The officer kicked the front door and they all got in. I just froze not knowing what to do. They came out with him cuffed up, he was back chatting to them and one police officer started shouting and punched him.

I closed my eyes and we made eye contact, I dropped the groceries and ran to him. "Let me the fuck go I need to speak to my daughter", "You don't tell us what to do", one police officer said. "Let him go", another said. My dad came towards me and whispered "The keys are where we were supposed to go on Saturday. Don't say a word to anyone. I'll be back. Please take care of your mother and yourself, I love you Shanice.", he kissed my forehead and they led him to the car.

My mom was standing by the door the whole time. I got in the house and she started shouting. I remember her last words were "I hope you not planning on following on his footsteps because that will be you" and she walked away.
_______________________________________________________________

I shook my head and took my phone. I dialled her number. It rang two times before she picked up.

Shane: I'm outside.

- 18❤.