Prologue

When Arthur had died Merlin's whole life had just stopped, his last breathe was stolen from his lungs, the light from his eyes had dimmed – but they weren't dull, Kilgharrah's voice rung in his head, reminding him that Arthur would rise from the Lake of Avalon when Albion's need is greatest.

Until then despite being wrecked over the fact that Arthur was no longer by his side, he was content that he rested with Lancelot and Freya, among the others who he'd lay at rest there once their time was up: Queen Guinevere, Sir Percival, Sir Elyan, Sir Gwaine and Sir Mordred (he hadn't been so sure to do this but he knew that Mordred meant no real harm – he was manipulated by the Lady Morgana). Once everyone was gone, Leon went out on a mission but he never returned, Merlin had searched for his body but he found nothing. Gaius had died of old age and heartbreak after Arthur and Gwaine's death but he didn't want to be rested in the lake so he lay in the vaults of the castle - courtesy of Gwen.

Years had passed and Merlin was still alone. He had gone through all the pains of the world, battled in many wars(from swords to guns), lived through many deaths and the constant pain he felt from being so alone. He was still Merlin, the cheeky, naive boy that never listened and put everyone else before him. He still only used his magic for good, for protection... for Arthur. There had been many times where Merlin had wanted to give up and sleep with his friends for eternity but the hope that Arthur would return was stronger than any doubt he'd ever faced. So he stayed for Arthur, for Albion.

It was 2005 when he thought he'd caught a glimpse of the curls hat seated Leon's head. It was 2006 when he heard his laugh ring out from across the street. It was 2008 when he was in a museum and saw Camelots armour on a wax figure of Leon's body- perfect to the very detail and it was 2010 when he had met Sam and Dean Winchester who were researching Camelot's lore in a library.