Chapter 10.

Anakin's POV

__________

Eight minutes earlier ....

I followed Obi-Wan out of the ship, keeping a safe distance, and checked anything and everything that could in any way be dangerous. The coast seemed mostly clear, so I commed Ahsoka, speaking in a low voice so as not to attract attention. "Ahsoka, do you copy?"

"Yes, sir," she responded chirpily. "Loud and clear."

"I need you to follow Obi-Wan into the palace, okay? Keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get into trouble. If he does, comm me immediately."

"Ten-four, General!"

I wasn't entirely sure that she caught every word, but I trusted her enough to fill in any things she might have missed.

As for myself, I began scouting out the area, looking for anything that might have been out of the ordinary. There didn't appear to be any unauthorized or scrappy ships, so either Asajj wasn't here, she had hidden her ship, or she had hitched a ride with someone more honourable. The first option was highly unlikely, made more unlikely by the sinking feeling in my stomach. Darkness was washing over the place, chilling the air and giving the sun a watery feel, and I sensed the Dark Side clouding the area. It felt like someone had wrapped a wet cloak around my shoulders and pulled the hood low over my eyes. Despite that, I tried my best to listen for Obi-Wan and Ahsoka in case of any change.

I've heard Padmé saying that women are better at multitasking than men. I think I believe her. I was spending too much energy focusing on Obi-Wan and Asajj, and not enough on what was happening before my very eyes.

The world seemed to slow down as I rounded a corner, coming back onto the courtyard in front of the palace. Danger was screaming in my ears as I watched the pavement cracking and buckling, before blowing sky-high. It was as though a geyser had exploded right underneath the stone ground, and shoots of smoke, dirt, and rocks were sent soaring. People, once content and busy, were knocked off their feet or, if they were too close, were sent a few feet into the air.

Without thinking, I thrust out my hands and effectively paused the unfolding scene, holding people and pieces of shrapnel mid-air. My hands shook slightly from the effort, but I made sure to retain my concentration as I carefully lowered what I held to the ground.

The front doors of the palace were flung open and guards rushed out, some of them running to help the wounded and others looking around to see what had caused the explosion.  And then Asajj showed up.

Sauntering through the smoke and fire, she swung her twin lightsabers around casually, the red glow adding to the already fiery sight.

I approached her, feeling anger at the destruction and pain she had caused boiling up inside me. "How dare you!" I spat, igniting my lightsaber with an expressive thrust.

She appeared rather surprised to see me, looking me up and down with obvious disdain. "Skywalker," she began dryly, "fancy seeing you here. Maybe I didn't hit you hard enough. Or maybe I hit you too hard, and I've knocked the sense out of you. Surely you're smart enough to know when to stay away."

I growled, readjusting the grip on my lightsaber. "I have a job to do, Asajj. I don't like to stop until it's finished."

"Oh really? You seemed more than happy to let my boot connect with your head earlier. I did try talking to you, but you didn't seem to be listening." She shrugged indifferently. "Somehow you got away. Maybe those guys didn't know how to tie up a Jedi properly. But it doesn't really matter. I'll just find some other way to get you into Dooku's hands. It shouldn't be hard." Then she dashed forwards and began fighting me.

 I knew I shouldn't let my anger fuel me, but it hurt me to see so much devastation in so short a time. And I should've known what was going to happen. I should have been able to stop it. But I was too late ... too late ....

I desperately battled with myself, forcing myself to focus on the task at hand, and only narrowly missed a nasty whack from one of Asajj's sabers. I rolled out of the way, swiping at her legs before springing to my feet again.

"Are you listening this time?" Asajj asked carelessly, throwing a vicious thrust at my side.

I dodged but still caught her blade on mine and pushed back hard. "Yes. I'm listening."

"Good," she smirked, kicking me in the stomach and sending me reeling backwards, "because I wanted you to hear this: you're slow."

You're slow ... too slow ... too late. You were too late ... too late to save your —

I cried out as pain ripped through my back, searing into my skin and leaving me helplessly stranded on the ground. Gritting my teeth against the burning mark left from Asajj's lightsaber, I tried to move, tried to do something rather than just lie on the stone, defenceless, but it was fairly well useless.

Some of the blinding white light was blocked out by a blurry figure standing over me, then the Force gathered tightly around me, and I felt myself being lifted off the ground. A frosty hand wrapped around my throat, though the strain of my weight was taken entirely by the Force.

"I told you I'd get you into Dooku's hands," a voice hissed. "Now that I've dealt with you, I can get onto your friend, and your padawan won't be far behind. Not such a great Jedi, are you?" Then she laughed coldly. "Maybe this will please Dooku. Let's find out, shall we?" But then she dropped me in a hurry, and I heard lightsabers clashing over me, buckling and groaning as pressure was forced onto them. Then the pain became too much, and I remembered nothing more.

<><><><><><><><><><>

So, we've got another shorter chapter and another cliffhanger, but there we go! Anyways, hope yous are enjoying reading this as much as I'm enjoying writing it! :)

Poor Anakin, once again. Friends are there for a reason, Ani! And I mean, seriously, who didn't start cringing when Anakin let his anger drive him?? I was cringing, and I wrote the stuff! XD

Anyways, unsurprisingly, I'm going back to Obi-Wan next chapter, so I'm guessing there'll be some more Obitine. :D I hope yous are excited as I am! Thanks for reading!