Chapter 11.

Obi-Wan's POV

__________

"We'll take him together. You go in slowly on the left —"

"I'll take him now!"

"No, Anakin, no! No!"

My arms strained from the effort of holding Asajj's lightsaber off Anakin, but I didn't relent. With a firm push, I shoved her back, standing protectively over my now-unconscious, former padawan. I stood ready, poised to strike, but waiting for her to make the first move.

Her ice-blue eyes whisked over me. "Look who decided to show up," she started coolly.  "Thank you, Obi-Wan, for making my life so much easier. I don't have to go looking for you." Then she lunged forwards and engaged me in a duel.

"I can't wait to see the look on Dooku's face when I present two unconscious Jedi to him," she purred, swinging her lightsaber at me. "He's so keen to see you."

"And why is that?" I asked, blocking her strike, then thrusting for her.

"He has a surprise for you. It would be such a shame to keep him waiting, wouldn't it?" Her eyes glinted in the fiery glow of late afternoon. Then she dodged to the side when a couple of sabers were ignited behind her, and I smiled to see the ferocious expression of Anakin's padawan. She lightened up a bit when she saw my smile, then both of us continued the attack on Asajj.

Asajj was looking more than just a little uncomfortable with this change of plans. Apparently, she hadn't been counting on Ahsoka joining the fight. I could see her gaze darting around as she searched for an escape route, so I attempted to block off every avenue. If we could catch her, we would have completed our mission and we could get back to Coruscant. We could find out what Dooku was planning, and we could stop him. We could get Anakin back home, get him help, get him safe, and figure out what was distracting him so much.

I knew I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself, but I fancied our chances fairly high. It was two against one, and Asajj was appearing distinctly uneasy.

She ducked Ahsoka's swing, kicked me in the face, then blasted Ahsoka back with a push from the Force. While we stumbled backwards, she lifted a large chunk of broken pavement into the air, then hurled it at Satine, who stood on the front steps of the palace.

I dropped my lightsaber as I stuck out my hands, focusing entirely on stopping the chunk of stone from hitting her.

With a wry laugh, Asajj bid us farewell. "So long, Jedi!" Then she was gone.

Satine ducked out of the way, stumbling forwards and tripping down the stairs in her haste, so I carefully placed the pavement down in a safe spot, then went over to her. Offering my hand down to her, I helped her to her feet.

"Are you alright?" I asked, keeping a gentle hold of her hand to steady her once she was upright.

She nodded, dusting her fingers down her purple skirts then brushing a few blonde strands out of her face. "Yes, thank you." Her blue eyes narrowed as she scanned the area. "Where's that scoundrel gone? She has a lot of nerve."

I sighed as I glanced around. "My feelings tell me she's left the planet, which is good, in a way. She shouldn't bother you, for a while at least." I gave her a weary smile.

She returned it warmly, placing her hand on my cheek once more. The warmth of her fingers sent electricity fizzing down my spine. "Thank you, Obi, for saving my life. I appreciate it."

I dipped my head slightly. "Any time, my dear. Any time at —"

"Master Kenobi!" Ahsoka's voice interrupted me, and suddenly reality crashed onto my shoulders again.