Chapter 33.

I knocked quietly on the door, fingering the small device in my hands as I listened for a response. After a moment or two, a faint "come in" came from inside, so I slipped into the room, shutting the door behind me. I smiled at my friend as he lay surrounded by white sheets and bleeping machines.

"Hey Obi-Wan," I greeted him softly, taking the chair next to his bed and placing the device on the bedside cabinet. His face was pale and drawn from pain, but he smiled tiredly when I came near.

"Hello, my friend," he responded, his voice quiet in the noisy room. Reaching across gingerly, he took my hand, giving it a squeeze. "How are you?"

"I'm getting there," I answered lightly. "How about yourself? Have these people checked out your wounds and injuries?"

He huffed gently, shaking his head, but there was a smile teasing at the edges of his lips. "I wouldn't know. I've been unconscious for who knows how long. But everything doesn't hurt nearly as much as it used to, so I assume they've done something good to me."

I laughed. "I'm glad to hear it. Oh, and the Council send their regards and hopes for your recovery."

He frowned slightly. "How do they know what happened?"

"I talked to them," I said casually, hoping not to get him worried about why I hadn't come straight to the medical ward. "I had some apologies to make. Speaking of which," I added guiltily, "I owe you an apology."

"You owe me an apology?" he repeated, just a little vacantly. But he made an effort to focus on me, sitting up a tiny fraction. "How's that come, my friend?"

I looked at my hands. "I yelled at you earlier. I said ... I said you couldn't run my life for me. I said you weren't my master anymore," I ended quietly.

I sensed a spike of hurt stabbing into Obi-Wan as he silently processed my words, recalling the time I had used them. "It's alright, Anakin," he said finally. "I'm sure you were stressed."

I sighed. "I was, but that shouldn't really be an excuse."

We fell into semi-uncomfortable silence, which Obi-Wan broke eventually. "What was getting you down, my friend?" he asked gently, his blue eyes fixed on mine. "I remember you mentioned that it had something to do with your mother. Is that correct?"

I rubbed my hands together anxiously. "Yeah, that's right."

He waited for me to continue, watching me with no judgment or disapproval, only concern and compassion. Maybe I was wrong about him.

"She ... she died, just over a year ago," I said as steadily as I could manage, though I kept my voice low for fear of it breaking. "She died, because I was too late." I stared doggedly at a spot on the wall, my gaze misting with tears.

Obi-Wan's hand found mine, giving it a soft squeeze. "That sounds hard. I'm sure you did your best."

"My best wasn't good enough," I said bitterly, though I resisted the urge to pull away from Obi-Wan's touch. "I knew something was wrong, but I didn't do anything about it until it was too late."

He remained quiet for a while, waiting to see if I had anything more to add. When I stayed silent, he spoke very gently. "Your mother would have been proud of you, no matter what."

His words startled me, stopping me in my tracks. I had only ever thought about how disappointed or saddened she would have been by how long it took me to come. It had never occurred to me that she was actually happy to see me. I was always looking at what I didn't have ... and in the process, missing what precious moments I had spent with her.

I smiled, just a little. "I-I guess she would have. I'd never really ... never really thought of it that way."

He returned my smile and went to say something but was interrupted by something buzzing on the cabinet by his bed. I grabbed the small device, then shoved it into his hands, adding quickly, "I thought you might be getting a call soon, so take this. You can answer your caller on it."

He held it, looking slightly confused, before pressing the button to accept. I slipped out of the room, flashing him a parting smile. I wanted to say thanks to him, but he was busy, so I hoped he knew it was implied. He was good at figuring out what I wanted to say before I even had anything to say; this time wasn't likely to be an exception.

On my way out of the medical ward, I asked if one of the staff wouldn't mind checking me over and tending any wounds that needed attention. Having been sufficiently checked and tended, I was walking down the hallway when someone racing from the other end nearly bowled me over, stumbling backwards after smacking into me. "I'm so sorry!" she gasped, her blue eyes wide with anxiety and shame. "I didn't see you there, and I was going out, and I didn't bring her back in, and I'm just taking her out, and —"

"Ahsoka!" I stopped my breathless padawan, putting my hands up and laughing. "Calm down! I don't even know what's going on!"

The Togruta fidgeted uneasily, and I realized she was cradling something in her arms. The ball of grey fluff might as well have been powered by purrs as it stolidly climbed up my padawan's shoulders, trying to curl around her neck. When the kitten saw me, her big yellow eyes blinked curiously at me, her tail twitching thoughtfully. As if she wasn't cute enough, a tiny mewl was emitted from a pink mouth, followed by a jaw-stretching yawn that revealed pearly-white teeth. Then the little cat settled down in Ahsoka's arms, tucking her paws neatly underneath herself as she hunkered down for a long nap.

"I'm sorry," Ahsoka gabbled out, readjusted the kitten, "I don't know how she got back into our room, and I'm taking her back now, so you don't have to worry, and please don't be mad at me, because as I said, I don't how she came in, and-and —"

"Ahsoka," I interrupted her softly, my tone causing her to look up in surprise. "It's alright. The pet shelter doesn't seem to be working out for her, so maybe we could look after her until she's a little stronger. It's not safe for a little kitten to be crossing so many busy streets and dangerous roads."

She stared at me, speechless. Then my words slowly sank in, and a huge grin spread across her face. I knew all she wanted to do was jump up and give me a massive hug, but both of us knew the sleeping cat wouldn't be grateful for it. Instead, she restrained herself to an enormously excited, though softly-spoken, "Thanks so much, Master! I really, really appreciate it heaps and heaps!"

I smiled and dipped my head slightly. "Now go and get Kato a bed made up. Try not to become inseparable from her, though," I warned, knowing full well that my pleas would fall on deaf ears, both for herself and myself, too. "I'm sure there's a lovely home waiting for her when she's a bit older."

Ahsoka's grin was enough to make my day. "Thanks, Master!" she called over her shoulder as she went to our room, carrying the snoozing bundle.

"You're welcome," I murmured after her. Then I continued on my journey. I had one more call to make.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Ah, things are decompressing somewhat. :) It's so nice to have things falling into place in the end.

I loved seeing our wee furry friend Kato again! She's so cute! And it's nice for Anakin and Snips to be gelling with each other again. ;)

Sooo, we've probably got two more chapters before the book is finished! And yes, there should be some Obitine and Anidala in them. ;D Also, we'll be jumping to Obi-Wan for next chapter! ^-^