Chapter 34.

Obi-Wan's POV

__________

I pressed the button on the holographic transmitter with slight confusion, wondering whether Anakin was having me on, or whether he had genuinely guessed that someone was going to be calling me. When my former padawan quietly left the room, my suspicions doubled, only to be confirmed by the figure that flickered into life.

"Hello, my dear," I breathed, my eye picking out every detail of her beautiful, tired face, though the hologram didn't nearly do her features justice. Her pale blonde hair, pinned into a tight bun by an emerald-green hairpin, was pulled out of those stunning blue eyes, and I could only assume the dark navy gown, close-fitting and trimmed to her slender figure, reflected the reason for her call. It was likely to be a matter more related to serious business, and I felt a little silly for greeting her the way I had.

Satine dipped her head quickly, her eyes searching my face ... anxiously? "Hello, Obi-Wan," she returned my greeting gracefully, but there was a hidden undertone to her voice. "How are you?"

The earnestness of her question surprised me. She was inquiring out of more than just pleasant acquaintance. "I'm doing better, thank you. And yourself? I hope the explosion on Mandalore hasn't been weighing on you too greatly."

"No, it's been fine," she answered, seeming for all the world to be fidgeting. Satine didn't fidget. "It looks as though it's more of an issue than it actually is. There is a little unrest within my people, but on the whole, we're very grateful to have had your and General Skywalker's assistance. I hope you'll pass on my thanks to him."

I nodded. "Of course." There was a brief, awkward pause before I asked slowly, "Is everything alright, Satine?"

She clasped her hands together, running her thumb along her fingers, and I could see her shoulders tensing. Having glanced around imperceptibly, she set her gentle gaze on me, her blue eyes flicking between mine. "Are you alright, Obi?" she asked softly.

"Yes, well, I'm doing better, in any case," I responded in concealed confusion. "I wonder that you ask?"

"I was ...," she hesitated, "I saw the news on the media." Her gaze drifted to a place past me. "The footage was cut off when Anakin asked for Asajj Ventress's lightsaber, so I didn't know what happened to ... what happened afterwards." She looked at me briefly before averting her eyes again. I couldn't tell if it was simply the flickering of the hologram or if there were tears in the corners of her eyes.

Then it hit me. She saw the footage of me. "Oh, Satine," I murmured, feeling my heartstrings being plucked as I wished I could be there with her ... for her. "I'm alright, my dear," I said gently, letting my walls of formality crumble. "I'm at Coruscant, and the doctors here are treating me very well. I am doing much better."

A small smile crossed her face as her shoulders relaxed. "I'm glad to hear it." She held my gaze, looking into my eyes with a tender fondness. Neither of us spoke for a full minute; we didn't need to.

In my mind's eye, I was back on Mandalore, still a padawan under the watchful eye of my Master Qui-Gon Jinn, though I had never decided if he was watchful enough to see the growing affection that I had for the one we had been sent to protect. She was beautiful even then, and our relationship with each other was strengthened by the harsh conditions we lived in. Running from bounty hunters and others who were trying to assassinate her, we helped Satine for around a year. Her words on the day of our departure remained imprinted on my heart.

"Thank you, Obi, for risking life and limb to protect me." Her fingers twitched, and my heart skipped a beat. She held out her hand, so I took it gently. I assumed it was a sign of respect, though I couldn't quite make up my mind.

She let her fingers linger in mine before slipping them out and dropping her hand back to her side. "Until next time. I hope that someday I may be able to repay the great kindness you have shown me. I hope we shall meet again, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

I dipped my head, keeping my eyes on her the whole time. "I hope we shall, too, Satine Kryze."

"Perhaps," Satine's voice shook me out of my daydream, "when you have sufficiently recovered, the Jedi might spare you to help with the aftermath of that explosion. It would be very helpful to have someone with such skills in negotiating as you, but of course I understand if you are too busy."

I tried not to smile too much. "I'll talk with the Jedi Council once I've been released from the medical ward. I'm sure something can be arranged."

She smiled, holding her tiny holographic hand out to me, so I placed mine under hers. We stayed like that for a few moments before she let her hand fall to her side again. "Until next time, Obi."

I dipped my head. "Until next time, my dear."

She offered a final smile before ending the call. The hologram flickered and disappeared, leaving me with an empty hand but a full heart. Maybe I could see her again. Maybe I could be there with her ... for her.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Aren't they soooo sweeeet?? I love the two of them together! So yeah, Satine was sad that Obi was sore. Isn't that sweet? ^o^

We've probably got one more chapter, and then we're done! We'll be popping over to see Ani for the last chapter. :)

Thanks for reading, everyone! Thanks so much – we're over 600 reads!! ^0^