Chapter 31.

A shockwave exploded out from me, tearing up the ground as it dug an enormous crater into the earth, wiping out the columns, grandstands, viewing platforms, and all. Everybody was sent sprawling backwards, though because most were flying or standing above ground level, none were seriously injured.

The power that I had just released still fizzed inside me, but I didn't have the strength to stand any longer. My legs buckled, and I would have hit the dust if Ahsoka hadn't sprung to her feet and looped herself under my arms, supporting me. She helped me kneel, then let me sit back on my calves and try to get my breath back.

I panted, switching between feeling utterly wasted and fighting the urge to collapse. I still had a job to do. I couldn't give up yet.

After a moment or two, I reached my hand out to Ahsoka. "Help me up," I said breathlessly and managed a small smirk when I saw the incredulous look on her face.

"I don't know if you're ...," she trailed off, catching my expression. Then she clamped her hands under my elbows and heaved, hauling me back upright. She kept her hands on my arms to steady me, then looked to me for instruction. "What next?"

"You two came here in a ship, right?" I asked her. "Let's go to that. Let's get off this place."

For some reason, Ahsoka hesitated. Then I realized her gaze was directed to Asajj, who was watching us uneasily.

I gave Asajj a little smile. "Come on. Come with us."

She stood undecided, glancing around at the life that had been hers for so long. The destruction, the rules, and the pain around us reflected her own experiences. She turned to me, her jaw set in determination. "I will."

I dipped my head in recognition of the strength of her character. Then, to extend the trust that was slowly, so very slowly, being built between us, I asked her, "Will you help Obi-Wan? He's going to need it if we're to make it to the ship, and Ahsoka's got her hands full with me."

My padawan looked up quickly at me, and I could feel the doubt that slithered around her heart. Was this safe? Was I putting my trust too readily in Asajj's hand by making Obi-Wan her charge? But Ahsoka didn't say anything, believing that I knew what I was doing. Her unshakable faith in my judgment was more than I had in myself.

Asajj allowed the softest smile to grace her face as she nodded, accepting my trust with open arms. Her resolve to keep Obi-Wan safe – the resolve not to fail me – touched me, solidifying my confidence in her.

She gently slid Obi-Wan's arm around her shoulders, getting a firm hold around his waist, then straightened up, pulling him to his feet. He leaned heavily on Asajj, and despite the pain that creased his face, I knew he was putting a great deal of effort into staying upright. He held my gaze for a moment, a little unsure about the sudden change in Asajj's loyalty, but behind his eyes lay the deep trust he had in me. If I believed in Asajj, he would, too. I just hoped his trust wasn't misplaced.

"Lead the way, Snips," I said quietly, so she, still keeping a sharp eye on me, slipped out of the arena and through the halls until we made it out of the droid factory. We made slow but steady progress, picking the cover of the shadows as much as possible and choosing back routes so as to avoid being spotted. 

Eventually we reached the outskirts, where sat a shiny Republican ship, so Ahsoka raced ahead to lower the landing ramp and get the ship ready. Just before we boarded, Obi-Wan stumbled to his knees, despite Asajj's best efforts to keep him going.

Asajj readjusted her hold on her protégé, but he groaned too much for her to get him standing again. She looked to me helplessly, wordlessly pleading for my assistance, so, ignoring the exhaustion that begged me to do the same as my friend, I came around his right side, attempting to still my hands that continued to shake and tremble. I stopped when I realized this was the side with his bad shoulder and hesitated, trying to think how I could help him. The answer dropped into my mind so simply that I smiled at my own ignorance. Taking a moment to focus, I planted my boots in the ground and imagined strands of the Force curling around him, avoiding touching his sore shoulder, and supporting him so much that he barely had to do any work himself. Asajj guided him up the ramp, acting as a physical crutch, while I provided the extra help, though I didn't dare move a muscle until Obi-Wan was safe.

Once they were inside, weariness almost crumbled my wall of concentration, but I fought the urge to let go, instead doubling my efforts to assist Asajj in laying Obi-Wan down on one of the benches in the back of the ship. That completed, I couldn't hold myself together any longer and, my knees buckling, I collapsed to the ground.

I tried talking myself into getting up and moving but even that drained me of what little strength I had left. I hoped someone would come and give me a hand – probably Ahsoka, once she had finished her tasks – but my mind drifted. I thought about my padawan, flitting around the ship and making certain everything would work perfectly. Obi-Wan would be lying on the bench, worrying about me when he should really only have concerns for himself. And Asajj ... I didn't know what she would be doing. Was she even coming with us? Would she stay and try make her own way through the galaxy?

My slightly delirious musings were interrupted when the sun was blocked out by a hazy figure. She stood over me, hands on hips, and I thought it odd that Ahsoka would have taken such a commanding stance. Then it clicked. Of course, it was Asajj. Maybe she was coming with us, after all.

"Need a hand, Skywalker?" she asked, flecks of bemusement colouring her tone, though there was no real malice behind it. She held her hand down to me, which I took gratefully while at the same time tried not to be too embarrassed that a lady was helping me to my feet.

We made it the few steps to the ship, then up the landing ramp, before she let me sink onto the bench opposite Obi-Wan. She paused for just a moment to make sure I was okay, then joined Ahsoka in the cockpit, taking the co-pilot's seat.

"Are we going to Coruscant?" Ahsoka called back to me.

I paused before responding. "Where does Asajj want to go?"

Asajj looked back quickly, her shoulders tensing. After a brief, painful silence, she said reluctantly, "I'll come with you to Coruscant, but if you could drop me off before you reach the Jedi Temple, I would appreciate it."

I nodded. "Take us there, Ahsoka. Oh, and, Asajj, I have something for you." I tossed her lightsaber to her.

She caught it, then turned it over in her hands, and a glint stole into her eyes. She was the only armed person on the ship. She could .... But she threw it back to me. "Keep it."

I held it lightly, then conceded. "As you like it."

Then she surprised me again by handing Ahsoka the jagged dagger she had been carrying. "I believe this is yours. Where did you get it from, anyway?"

My padawan's cheeks coloured hotly as she stuffed the knife into her belt. "I-I got it from Tatooine. Some thugs had hurt Anakin with it, and since neither they nor Obi-Wan seemed to want it, I thought I might as well grab it. I figured it might come in handy. The Geonosians were only looking for my lightsabers, so I guess they missed the dagger." She shrugged a little, her eyes firmly fixed out the window.

Asajj seemed impressed. "You're sneaky, kid – sneaky, but good."

"I agree," I offered from the back. "You're real good, Snips. I'm very proud of you."

She flushed even redder than before and mumbled out something resembling a thank-you.

I chuckled to myself, then slid off the bench, kneeling beside Obi-Wan and squeezing his hand. I wasn't sure if he was conscious or not, but I spoke to him anyway. "I know, my friend. I care about you, too."

<><><><><><><><><><>

Phew, things are slowing down! It's nice to be able to breathe again! XD This chapter was fun to write, and it was really nice to see a sweet side of Asajj. Also, I love seeing the team working together and actually talking with each other! *gasp*

So, I think things are wrapping up; we don't have many chapters left! Thanks so much for reading, everybody, and I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it! We've still got a few more characters to check in with *whispers behind back of hand that Obitine and Anidala may be pending* and we might have a brief catch up with the Council .... Things could get messy, but let's hope for our poor exhausted characters' sakes that they don't!

Also, I just wanted to mention that I write Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship purely as platonic – so just heaps of angsty brotherly feels. ^.^

And I wanted to say we're over 500 reads!! That's crazy! Thanks so much, everyone!!! ^0^