12: Complete This Thought: "I Wish I had Paid More Attention When...."

Meetings were slow. They were boring and often Elrond's least favorite people were the ones attending. So, sense his insight was rarely sought, he tended to drift off during those meetings only to be called back to the real word when the dismissal bell was rung. It had become a habit by the time that Lord Glorfindel caught it.

        The council had been called to the Kings of the Elves. Cirdan, his apprentice Galdor, King Oropher, Lord Glorfindel, Master Erestor, and of course Master Elrond who was there due to Lord Glorfindel telling the King that "a younger type insight would be of use" in the days to come. Ever sense the Lord of house Goldenflower told the king such Elrond had been at every council held. No matter what they were speaking of.

        Truly when it had started he never drifted. He was always interested in the topic. Then he began to realize that Ereinion never asked to hear his insight. Then interest turned to boredom as the King was only asking his advisers. Little did the younger healer know, Glorfindel had spoken to the King about the matter and he had called Elrond to the council for the reason to hear what he had to say.

        Elrond had been working on a calculation of how many people were in the city when the know came to his door. He turned from his work to look up to the wooden panel. "Enter." He turned back to his calculations as the Lord entered his rooms. I almost forgot! The council is today.

"You realize the council it going to start soon." Elrond wiped the ink off of his quill before he looked up to his advisor. 

"Yes, I do realize this." He turned back once more and put the quill in a thin glass jar. "I continue with my work until you come to get me for the council." He shrugged. "No reason to sit and do nothing." The older ellon shook his head while chuckling lightly.

"I will never understand you Elrond. But, that is not my job. You have until the warning bell to get ready." Elrond pulled himself from his chair and placed his hand on his friend's shoulder. 

"Truly Glorfindel, I'm not as hard to understand as you think." The golden haired ellon rolled his eyes but went to st on Elrond's bed as the healer pulled out something fancier to wear. You just haven;t spent enough time with me to understand me. Even I don't understand myself sometimes. It was a long pare of robes, they were a royal blue color, with the star of the king on the front. He quick changed while his advisor hummed an elvish tune that he had never heard before.

        There was a light chime that rang through the air. "There's the warning bell Elrond, we should go." Elrond quickly ran a brush through his hair, being careful of the braids, and slipped a few rings and a necklace on before nodding to his friend that they could leave.

        The pair hurried down the hall to the King's solar and manged to slip inside before the council started. At least we aren't late.

"Ah, there are our last two. Good evening to you Lord Glorfindel and you as well Master Elrond." They both knelt down in front of the king.

"As to you King Gil-Galad." The echoed in almost perfect sync. The King nodded and beckoned for them to rise and take their seats. Glorfindel sat on the King's immediate right and the healer sat right beside him.

"Now." The King folded his hands together and placed them on the table. "I've called you all here to talk about something very important. The people-" Elrond's mind began to wander. He was thinking about the new books that they got in at the library today. I wonder if Erestor will let me read one right after the council.

        Elrond could hear the scratching pf quills on parchment but that had never affect his dream world before. His mind shifted to the fact that the King of Greenwood was going to be here for the next few days. I hope he is nothing like his son. He began to make his after council plans when something caught his attention.

"- What do you think Master Elrond?" The King turned to him and Elrond almost made the mistake of asking, "Of what?". I wish I had paid more attention when he stated the topic of this conversation. He kept his cool and looked over to Glorfindel who look him the eye. His eyes flicked from Elrond to his parchment.

Slave trade on Numenor.

"Ah, I beleive that the slave trade taking place on Numenor is wrong. It is unfitting that a race saved by the good grace of Valar to being doing something so immoral." Elrond folded his hands like the King had earlier and leaned into the table. "Something is going on there, that no one should enjoy." The others around the table murmured words of agreement but they were silenced by the King.

"Well said Master. I assumed correctly when I though you agree with me." The council ending bell rang out loud and clear. "Well, we will continue this on the marrow. Good day my Lords." The Lords rose from their chairs and each said a variation of "of course my King". Glorfindel pulled Elrond out of the room with him and out into the hall.

"Thank you mellon nin. I would have been in trouble if not for you." Glorfindel smiled sadly.

"I thought so."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, another Elrond and Glorfindel. If you can't tell they are my favorite story to write. :3

~Megan